Chapter 9 - City of Death

Alex limped out of the station, Kevin only a step or two behind her. She had to admit that he had done a rather good job patching up her leg. The bleeding had stopped and the aspirin had helped quite a bit with the pain. In fact, the limp wasn't quite as bad as before.

Now the only thing they had to do was get the hell out of this death trap. As Alex looked across the city, she realized that was easier said then done. The R.P.D. was more or less in the center of the city and Raccoon was not exactly small. Kevin too was staring out at the darkened streets.

"Well, what do you think?"

"I think we'd have more chance of surviving a plane crash, then making it out of this city alive."

"My but you are such an optimist." The statement was thick with sarcasm.

"No, I'm a realist. I mean, take a good look." Alex swept her arm in wide ark. "The city is crawling with zombies, not to mention whatever else might have escaped the labs. The streets are a maze of wrecked cars, trucks, hell even destroyed buildings. Place looks like Poland after the Blitzkrieg*."

Raccoon looked like a war zone, not the thriving metropolis it had been only days before. Any chance of escape would depend on avoiding anything tougher than a zombie or maybe a licker, accurate shooting, and a hell of a lot a luck. So far luck had certainly not been on Alex's side.

"I suppose the quickest route is the straightest." Kevin said, pushing open the large iron gate.

"It's usually the most dangerous as well." Alex mumbled, pulling out her berretta.

Alex moved past the bookstore. Had it only been eight hours since she'd been standing in that alley? Hell, it had only been a few days ago that the city had still been intact, a few weeks ago since she'd last seen Chris, and only a little over a month ago since her brother had been killed. So why then did it feel like years since she had run through those gates and saved Jill's life?

"Hey, Alex, you hear that?"

Alex cocked her head, listening. "Bells?"

"I think it's coming from the Clock Tower." Kevin pointed to a tall building in the distance.

The Saint Michael Clock Tower, it had long been a city landmark. But Alex couldn't ever remember hearing the bells before.

"You do realize that someone has to be ringing them." Alex said, thoughtfully.

"I also realize that someone is flying that chopper there."

Alex snapped her head toward where Kevin was pointing. Sure enough a large black chopper was making it's way to the Clock Tower.

"Kevin, you got a radio right?!"

"Yea." Kevin pulled a small black police radio from his belt. "But what...."

"Give it here!" Alex snatched the radio out of his hands, and clicked through the channels. She had a good idea that the chopper was on of Umbrella's. After finding the right channel, she depressed the talk button. "This is Head of Security...Umbrella Main labs...Captain Alexandra Wesker...please respond...over!"

"Flight 401...U.B.C.S. pickup chopper...over."

"What is your destination...over."

"Proceeding to Saint Michael Clock Tower...ETA 2 minutes...over."

Alex was overjoyed, this was the break she'd been looking for. She grabbed Kevin by the arm, and broke into a run. The Clock Tower was four blocks away, at a dead run they should be able to make it there in ten to fifteen minutes.