Chapter 11 - Honor

Alex pulled the magnum from her shoulder holster, not that it would do her much good. Nothing short of a rocket launcher, or some similar heavy firepower, would take that monstrosity down. A glance to her left showed her that both Jill and Carlos had pulled weapons of their own. She couldn't see Kevin, but assumed he too had armed himself.

She now found herself at an impasse. If they all opened fire at once, there was a good chance the Tyrant would become confused long enough for her to snatch the sample. However, if Alex didn't fire a shot the Tyrant would fixate on Jill and Carlos. This would give Alex the chance to escape unharmed and with the virus, but Jill and Carlos would probably die.

Decisions, decisions...

Alex clutched the magnum a bit tighter, raised it, and fired the first shot. The bullet slammed through the tyrant's chest and produced the exact reaction Alex had anticipated. The Tyrant stopped and turned in her direction. Both Jill and Carlos pulled their respective weapons up, preparing to aide her.

"No, both of you get the hell out of here!!"

"But Alex, that thing will kill you!!"

Jill looked as if she couldn't believe what Alex was saying. For her part, Alex didn't really know what the hell she was doing herself. Her priority was the virus, yet here she was pissing off a seven foot killing machine in the hopes of saving two people.

Behind her, Kevin had opened fire. The shots from his 45 were hitting the Tyrant square in the chest, right where the heart was. It wasn't doing a whole lot of good, but at least he was putting forth the effort.

"Jill, get your ass out of here, you're going to have enough problems getting away from Nemesis...don't add a Tyrant to the list!!"

"I can't just leave you here!!" Jill's face had contorted into a mask of determination.

"Jill you don't have a choice!" Alex fired several more shots into the Tyrant while she spoke. "GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!"

Alex was still firing, but there couldn't be more than three shots left in the clip. Behind her she heard the unmistakable click of a dry fire. Seconds later a clip hit the floor, Kevin was reloading. In the middle of it all Jill stared at Alex with an emotion in her eyes Alex had not seen since coming to work for Umbrella, a mixture of pride and admiration. Alex spared Jill a glance, smiled slyly, then mouthed a single word...GO.

Carlos grabbed Jill by the forearm, pulled her passed the rows of pews, and to the mangled doorway. Both of them gave Alex one last look, then disappeared into the Clock Tower lobby. Alex had saved their lives, at least for now, but she still had to save her own and Kevin's. A premise that was easier said, than done. They had the Tyrant's full attention now, which was certainly not the best of ideas.

Alex's clip ran dry and she grabbed for a second off the shoulder holster, slamming it home with a solid click. Behind her a second clip dropped to the floor followed closely by what could only be the sound of Kevin dropping the 45, he was out of ammo. Alex wasn't set well with ammo herself. She had a two more clips for the magnum, then of course there was the berretta and it's two and half clips worth of shells. But firing a berretta with normal 9mm ammo at a tyrant would be a lot like swatting at a licker with a fly swatter, all you would manage to do would be to piss it off. Not that both Kevin and herself, hadn't already managed to do that, but at least the hollow points from Alex's magnum were doing some damage.

During the brief respite of fire, the Tyrant once more turned its attention to the black bag containing the virus sample. It moved forward, reaching toward the bag with one large hand. In a moment born of stupidity and desperation, Alex dove forward. Just as the Tyrant caught hold of one of the bag's straps, Alex grabbed a second strap.