Chapter 6 - The Plot Thickens

Alex leaned against the wall of the bookstore, mentally ticking off how many bullets were left in the berretta. Counting the last zombie she'd just shot, she had five. Not bad considering she'd just walked from her apartment to the R.P.D. Which left her with two more full clips, a total of 16 shots. Worse than she would have liked, but better than she'd expected.

She took a deep breath and inched around the wall. There were several cars lying abandoned in the street and the fire hydrant in front other bookstore was gushing water all over the place. But considering the condition of the previous streets she'd run through, it looked pretty good. Especially compared to the police roadblock on Main.

The police had tried their best to retake the city and failed miserably at it. Hell, she hadn't even been able to salvage anything good. She'd also found the remains of some U.B.C.S. agents as well. That explained the choppers she'd heard during the fighting.

She shook her head and stepped away from the wall. She had a job to do, get into the labs, get a sample of the virus, and get out of town. Simple and easy, with about a hundred things that could go wrong in the process. One of which happened to be standing in front of the R.P.D. Jill Valentine had been avoiding her since the little meeting. Alex seriously doubted that Jill would let her do her job. Ales sighed heavily, trying to think of a back way into the station, when the large gate creaked open.

"Brad puts in an appearance."

He looked terrible and he was hurt, at least judging from the way he was holding his side. Suddenly a large brutish looking creature appeared on the scene. Alex took an involuntary step back as the creature grabbed him in one meaty hand and lifted him off the ground like he weighed little more than a feather.

Unconsciously, Alex traded in the berretta for the magnum. She had no idea how she was going to stop that thing, but she had to try. After all, she had known Brad since he'd first moved to Raccoon when she was sixteen. He as a wimp, true, and maybe even partially responsible for Albert's death. But, he was still a friend and she couldn't turn her back on him. However, before she could move, a tentacle suddenly shot through the back of Brad's head. His body spasemed for a few seconds then fell still. The creature tossed the body away and turned its attention to Jill.

"starrrrsss"

Alex was momentarily paralyzed, until she realized what that thing was. She also realized that if it killed Jill it would be left without a directive. Alex wasn't as emotionally attached to Jill, as she had been the rest of the S.T.A.R.S. team. She'd only been in Raccoon for about two months. The others, with the exception of Rebecca, had been in Raccoon for years. Truth be told, she hadn't' really liked the woman from the start and identified more with Rebecca, who had only been in Raccoon for a few weeks, rather than Jill.

So Alex could easily look at Jill as an object. Meaning if she kept Jill alive Alex wouldn't have to worry about that thing trying to kill her. Without a second thought she ran toward the gates, getting thoroughly soaked in the process. She pulled the flash bang from behind her back and let her sunglasses fall over her eyes.

"Jill!! DOWN!!"

She threw the grenade, just as she pushed the gates open with a loud clang. The monster turned, directing it's attention at the new visitor. A second later the grenade went off. Alex ran past the now blinded monster and grabbed Jill by the arm, hauling her inside the building. It only took a few seconds for her to find something to jam the doors with.

"There, you're safe for now." Alex then turned to the eastern door. "Bye"

"Hey wait!" Jill yelled, trailing after her.