"Two Princes"

Patton woke up from sunlight shining on his face. There was a bit of a breeze coming in from the balcony, but he didn't mind. If anything it made waking up much better. He sat up stretching his arms before he noticed a suit displayed for him. That was more than enough motivation to get out of bed.

Although Patton was very appreciative of the new suits he got every time there was a party, he sometimes felt bad about being spoiled like that. But he knew he couldn't do anything about it anyway.

Patton got dressed in his normal clothes; a pair of plain white trousers and leggings, a gray cloak that he tied around his shoulders, and a light blue tunic with silver lacing and embroidery. Not long after he was dressed, there was a knock at the door.

"Your highness? Are you awake?" a voice asked. Patton recognized that voice as one of the pageboys.

"Yes, I am awake." Patton answered while fixing his cuffs.

"Your brother has requested you join him in his chambers."

"Of course."

Patton joined the pageboy in the hallway and allowed himself to be escorted down the hall. The two of them made their way up a small staircase to Roman's door. While the pageboy asked permission to enter, Patton took notice of a portrait hanging on the wall nearby.

Among the paintings of his ancestors hung a painting of his father, mother, brother, and himself. They were seated together in the courtyard garden. His parents sat on a stone bench, Roman stood next to their father, and Patton was seated on his mother's lap. In the background there was a peek of a picnic blanket. The painting showed what must have been the perfect day for the royal family..

"I wish it had been real." Patton thought.

His mother died well before he reached the age of four, which was how old he appeared to be in the portrait. There was no way that could have been a reality. In fact, Patton remembered sitting on the lap of a lady-in-waiting when that painting was being made. Of course her features had been altered to look like his mother's. Even though the portrait was of a fake memory, it was still nice to imagine.

"Prince Patton, your brother will see you now." the pageboy said, holding open the door for the dazed prince. Patton brought himself back to the present and smiled as he walked past the servant.

"Thank you." He said with a nod.

Roman's room was much more elaborate than Patton's. While Patton kept his room as plain as he was allowed to, Roman filled his to the brim with glittering decor. His walls were covered in tapestries and stunning paintings of both himself and gorgeous landscapes he'd seem while off adventuring. His bed was surrounded by a red velvet canopy with golden tassels. The bedposts were covered in detailed carvings that Roman had done himself. There was a small fireplace across from his bed that warmed the room during the winter. His armoire was filled with equally stunning clothes, and the perfectly clean floor shone in the sunlight.

"Roman?" Patton called into the room.

"Out here, Patton." Roman's voice came from his balcony. Patton skipped out to his brother's balcony and joined him in overlooking the ocean by their home. Roman was still dressed in his nightclothes, which was probably why he hadn't requested to meet outside of his room. The two shared a few moments in silence. "Beautiful view, isn't it?"

"Definitely."

"I only hope I'll still have the time to enjoy it after I'm king."

"I'm sure you will, Ro." Patton assured his brother. Roman only nodded in response.