"White Freesia"

Patton lifted his head from Emile's shoulder and let his smile fall. Now that he had heard Logan's footsteps fade down the hallway and he knew that they were truly alone, he allowed himself to be sad.

"Can I have some time with Janus?" Patton asked.

"Of course. You don't need to ask." Emile said, already standing to get the deceased crown prince's cape Patton kept in his own armoire. Janus had left it in Parthenia before his death. For the last year it was the only part of Janus that Patton still had. Emile brought the cape over to Patton and wrapped it around his shoulders.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Patton hugged the cape close. Emile, his childhood friend, held him in his arms to comfort him. After Janus's tragic death, Emile had been chosen to replace him as Patton's betrothed love. Emile didn't expect nor want Patton to love him. He just wanted to console his grief stricken friend. When Patton allowed himself to appear as sad as he was, Emile gave him Janus's cloak and hugged him for as long as he needed.

Sometimes if Patton closed his eyes long enough he was able to convince himself it was Janus's arms around him.

"Would you mind sleeping in the guest room tonight?"

"Not at all. Can I do anything else for you before I go?'

"No. Thank you though."

With that Emile left Patton alone in his chambers.

The Parthenian prince stood from his bed wandering around his room. He longed to see his love again, but he knew it was impossible. Janus was gone and so was Patton's heart. He wanted to hold and be held by him. He wanted to dance and walk with him. That was all he wanted.

Patton continued to hug Janus's cloak while looking at his own left hand where he wore Janus's betrothal ring. It had been given to him by the coachman who'd delivered the news of his passing. Patton wore it every moment of every day. It was a constant reminder of his grief, but he felt that it was the least he could do to honor what almost was.

The sunset drew Patton onto his balcony. He could recall every moment of the nights he'd spent on the balcony with Janus. It was both painful and wonderful. Patton thought he saw someone running along the cliffside but when he looked again there was nothing. He figured he was just tired and should probably get to bed.

He turned to walk back inside but froze when he saw a flash of white out of the corner of his eye. Patton looked back at his balustrade and saw a single white freesia. His breath hitched as he slowly picked it up.

The small flower in his hand was freshly picked.  Its scent was still strong and beautiful.  The memories that this single flower unlocked in Patton's mind.  The fake picnic portrait with his mother, playing with Roman in the gardens as children, and so many afternoons with his father.  Though the most recent memory Patton had with the white freesia was the day of his engagement in the courtyard garden with...

"Janus."

Patton looked all around for any sign of his love, but the only sign was the flower in his hand. But that was all he needed. He knew that this was the universe's way of telling him that Janus was out there somewhere. Alive.

✧༺♥༻✧

Roman was in the middle of a meeting with the Earl of Bulovia when Patton rushed into the throne room beaming with joy.

"Roman! He's alive!" Patton said, twirling and holding the flower to his chest.

"What?"

"Your highness, you shouldn't be in here." Logan moved to block Patton from coming any further into the room. But Patton was too caught up in his own happiness to notice that he wasn't welcome at the moment.