"The Creaky Cauldron"

Patton's feet ached. He had been walking for days in the direction of the forest. At least he thought he was going that way. He wasn't sure anymore. The sun had set a long time ago and he had no idea where he was. Patton was hoping that he'd spot something, or someone, soon so he could find a place to rest for a little while.

After miles and miles of endless walking he spotted light coming from some sort of building. It looked like some sort of tavern. Patton estimated that he was somewhere between Dulcinea and Parthenia. Whichever it was, he hoped he would be welcome to buy a room for the night.

Patton approached the tavern entrance. Above the front door was a sign that read 'The Creaky Cauldron.' That name gave him hope that maybe he'd be able to find someone who could help him find Janus. Mages were known to be able to aid adventurers in their quests. Although Patton wouldn't label himself as an adventurer, he figured it would still count.

Even though it was very late at night, the tavern was bustling with activity. Patton looked around in awe. He'd never seen a place quite like this. It was quite a contrast from the uptight and formal galas he'd been attending all of his life. Instead of formal music and dancing, there was loud shouting and rowdy music.

He loved it.

Patton made his way through the crowd to a counter where a couple lone wolves were hanging around. There was a tall man behind the counter that Patton assumed would be able to help him get a room. The man's back was to the room while he sorted through what looked like different bottles of... well, Patton wasn't sure what it was. But he mixed two of them together and turned around.

"Can I help you?"

The man's hair was dark brown, but Patton could swear there was a tint of purple to it. His eyes were also dark brown with very heavy bags under them. He didn't look tired, just overworked and done with the world. He looked intimidating but somehow sweet.

"Hello? Can I help you?" The man repeated. Patton realized he had been spacing out.

"Oh, yes! I need a room for the night."

"We only offer rooms for a week at a time. If you want a room for a night, you'll have to pay for a week."

"Why can't I only book a room for one night?"

"That's just the policy." The man shrugged, starting to turn his back on Patton. "Sorry."

"Wait!" Patton called after him. "Um... okay. I'll get a room for a week."

"Splendid."

The man ducked underneath the counter. Patton waited for him to pop back up, but he didn't. A little worried, Patton leaned over the counter looking for him.

"Ahem."

Patton whirled around and saw the purple haired man standing behind him.

"How did you-?"

"Follow me." He cut Patton off. Being a prince that had never really happened before. No one with a lower title had ever dared be anything but chivalrous to him. It was refreshing!

"Okie doke." Patton nodded, following the strange man upstairs to find out where he was staying. He looked around at the decor along the way. There was outlandish imagery and decorations throughout the halls. Patton noticed that he kept seeing a strange symbol that resembled a stormcloud among the decor. The next time they passed one he decided to ask about it. "What's that?"

"What?"

"That stormcloud thingy."

"Family symbol." The man said. Although Patton didn't have any reason not to trust him, he didn't quite buy that answer. It didn't look like any family symbol he'd seen before.

The man jammed a key into a door and shoved it open.

"This is where you'll be staying. Meals are not complementary. You only pay for the room, not hospitality."

"Okay." Patton nodded. He stepped into the room and looked around.

The bedroom was tiny. All that was inside was a rickety bed, a window that was stuck half open, a small table with a broken leg, and tattered curtains that looked as if it was supposed to be used as a divider. Compared to Patton's room back in the castle, this was a total outhouse.

He loved it.

"Thanks!" Patton smiled, dropping his bag on the table causing it to tip over. He jumped a little and picked the table back up propping it up against the wall. The man just smirked and watched.

"If you need anything, handle it yourself. You pay for the room and any damages to it."

"Okay."

"Now then, you haven't given me a name nor payment."

"Oh, right!" Patton smiled and dug around in his bag for some money, and remembered that he'd only brought Parthenian currency. He still wasn't sure if he was in Parthenia or Dulcinea. "Um, what do you take for payment?"

"Anything of value." The man shrugged.

Patton decided to just offer him a few gold pieces from his home kingdom. He hoped that was enough to cover the week.

"Is this enough?" He asked, holding out the gold pieces. The man's eyes lit up seeing the shine of the gold. He quickly reached forward and took them before Patton would even have the chance to change his mind.

"This should cover it."

"Great!"

"Now I just need a name to go with that... cheery disposition."

"I'm Patton!" He answered without thinking.

"Patton?" The man eyed him suspiciously. Patton nodded and then realized that if he was still in Parthenia someone might recognize him. Thankfully the man didn't seem to linger on the subject though. "Virgil."

"Nice to meet you, Virgil."

"Likewise. Goodnight."

Virgil left without another word, holding the gold pieces tightly in his hand. As he disappeared back down the hall, Patton flopped back on the bed making it creak. It was a little drafty due to the partially open window. Still, after a little while of imagining himself back home with Janus by his side, he was able to fall asleep.

✧🐉♥     Word Count: 1,021     ♥🐉✧