CHAPTER 7

(A/n: this chapter mostly just touches on
Y/n's past but it's very important to the story!! Hopefully it's not too boring)

I sank down into a chair in the classroom. I couldn't believe I had gotten a detention. Not just a normal after school one though, but a Saturday detention. All because Billy had to be a dick.

I had gotten a Saturday detention all because I snapped at Billy. If anything it should've been Billy here instead, or at least he should've been here with me.

Sure enough, my mom had been furious with me. She didn't give me the chance to explain myself which was no surprise. She had refused to give me a ride too and I didn't want to bother Steve since he had already given me so many rides so I had decided to just skateboard there.

Now here I was. Looking around the room I immediately felt out of place. Most of the kids here were known to disrespect teachers.

I sigh and lean my chin against my hand, exhausted and wanting to go home to take a nap. My mom had chewed me out the night before and when I woke up this morning she was nowhere to be found, not giving me the chance to properly talk to her or apologize.

Ever since everything with Ben she's been harder to talk to and harsher. I understand why but at the same time the tension between us was only pushing me away from her and making me want to leave too. I hadn't told my mom, but I had plans to go back to California eventually.

We had lived there in the past a couple times actually. My brother and I were born in Redding, California and we had lived there until I was five, so the memories from back then were a bit fuzzy. Despite that, I still always got a warm feeling remembering how simple things had been back then. We didn't live by the beach like most people think when I mention California. We had lived in what felt like the middle of nowhere in a small, beat up house with lots of property surrounding it. The summers felt hot and unbearable, Ben and I spending most of our free time sitting in the kiddy pool we had or running through a sprinkler to cool down. It was still a highlight of my life, wandering around the property with my brother. We climbed trees, caught lizards and frogs, and just spent all of our time outdoors until it was pitch black out.

My dad had lived with us back then too but my memories of him were also vague.

I do remember that sometimes it felt like he was two different people. One second he was the most upbeat and energetic person I had ever met and the next second he was sulking around or angry about something. He used to yell at me and my brother over the smallest things until we were crying and then minutes later he was hugging us close and apologizing, promising he would try to be better.

I was little and I didn't understand it. All I knew was even during the good times with him, there was always a dreadful feeling in the back of my mind, like I was just waiting for things to go to shit again.

Once Ben and I were older he had told me that our dad had suffered from bipolar disorder. I didn't know much about it when he had brought it up to me but Ben had done his research and explained it to me. Things clicked and it suddenly made sense why my dad seemed to switch on us. Even if my dad got mad and lashed out in the heat of the moment though, he always seemed to know when he went too far and he'd always come back to apologize. And he never sank as low as to hurt us. He was a good person at heart, he was just troubled.

I do remember the way he acted before he left, though. He didn't get angry or lash out as much, but he wasn't his upbeat self at all anymore. He got distant. He got quiet. And then one night he was just gone. I was asleep when it happened, but Ben had told me that he remembered hearing Dad leaving in the middle of the night and he had ran outside after his car until our crying mom had chased Ben down and held him back while he kicked and screamed.