CHAPTER 27

I wake up with a start and try to catch my breath. I look around and notice that I'm in my room and everything's fine. I'm not in the junkyard or the tunnels. I'm here.

"Y/n? You okay?" I hear a sleepy voice and look over to see Max sitting up in bed, rubbing her eyes.

I nod, mustering up a weak smile. "Yeah. Just a nightmare."

She also nods. I'm quickly calming down because Max being here and acting normal is proof that everybody is okay and the disturbing dreams I have about things going horribly wrong in November are just dreams.

"We should go downstairs and get some breakfast." I say as I get up off of the floor, stretching.

We both head downstairs and I'm a bit surprised when I smell food already. I go into the kitchen to see Steve making pancakes in a t shirt and sweatpants, whistling to himself as he focuses on what he's doing.

"You cook?" I ask and Steve jumps, spinning around with the pan still in his hand.

"Jesus, you scared me!" He complains while Max and I laugh. "Yeah, keep laughing. Your food's over there." He points to two plates with pancakes, bacon, and eggs.

"What a gentleman." I tease as we grab our plates. Max goes out into the living room and I turn back to Steve. "I'm kidding. It's really sweet of you to do that."

Steve doesn't turn to look at me as he keeps his focus on what he's doing. "Yeah, I'm always making food for myself anyways and I'm sure you are too."

"Yeah, but it's still nice."

That's the end of our conversation and I join Max on the couch. We flip through channels as we eat, not really finding anything we want to watch.

Steve comes to sit down next to me on the couch with his own plate and he starts eating while watching us surf through different channels.

Somebody rings the doorbell and I get up, passing the remote to Max. "I gotta get that, you guys can decide on something to watch." I tell her as I set my plate on the coffee table and then step over Steve's legs that are resting on it.

I make it to the door as Max and Steve begin to bicker about something on TV. I open the door and come face to face with Billy, my eyes widening a bit since I hadn't expected to see him.

"Oh hey, what are you doing here?" I ask as Billy is pulling out a cigarette and cupping his hands around the lighter to light it.

He takes a drag and blows the smoke out. "I'm here for Max."

"You seriously like this show? Aren't you a little old for cartoons?" I hear Max's voice and glance behind me and turn back to Billy.

"It's good! And who said that cartoons have to have an age limit or whatever, that's stupid." Steve complains and then I decide to step outside, shutting the door behind me so Billy can't hear their loud conversation.

"Can Max finish her breakfast first?" I ask and Billy has a fed up expression on his face. I expect him to say no but still wait for him to answer.

"Whatever. She has five minutes."

I open my mouth to thank him but the front door opens and Steve's peeking out, messy hair and all as he doesn't notice Billy there yet.

"Y/n, have you seen my keys? Oh- uh," Steve quickly notices Billy's presence and he casually leans against the doorway with his arms crossed. "Hey, man."

"Nice pants, Harrington." Billy says with a smirk and Steve looks down at his plaid pajama pants.

"Your keys are in your jacket pocket. Is Max almost done with breakfast?" I ask and Steve takes his attention away from his pants.

"Oh, yeah she's pretty much done. Do you want me to get her?" He points his thumb behind him to signal to her and I smile a bit and nod.

"Yeah, sure."

He goes back towards the living room and I shut the door again. I look back at Billy and before I know what I'm doing I'm talking.

"I wanted to say sorry."

He looks at me like he has no idea what I'm talking about. "For what?"

"About being a total bitch last night and yelling at you. I mean you totally sucked last night too, but..." I trail off and slip my hands into my pockets. "I don't know, it was still a shitty thing to do." I mumble.

"Listen, if you don't want to do the whole project on your own just say that. I don't need your apology. I don't care." He emphasizes the last part, blowing smoke in my face on purpose.

I glare at him. "I'm serious, okay? I was being a prick and unlike you, I'm willing to own up to things when I'm in the wrong!"

He chuckles. "Willing to own up to things, really? That's funny, because I don't think you ever owned up to having my sister in a stranger's house a while ago and having Max drug me. Ring a bell?" His voice is menacing but I'm not going back down.

"I don't remember you owning up for knocking me out and beating the shit out of Steve without letting us explain what was happening."

"Oh, well how about you enlighten me?" He growls.

Our conversation is cut short when the front door opens again and Max is there with her bag. "I'm ready."

"Let's go." Billy's cold gaze stays on me as he drops his cigarette and crushes it under his boot. Then he turns around and walks away, Max following behind him. She glances at me over her shoulder once and then gets into the passenger seat.

The car speeds off and I sigh, turning around to go back inside. I shut the door behind me and go over to the couch, collapsing onto it.

Steve comes out of the kitchen and I notice that he must've taken his and Max's plate. "How'd it go?" He asks, referring to the conversation I had with Billy.

I close my eyes and lean back into the couch.

"Not great."