16

The landscape didn't seem to pass by much faster than if he was on foot but MacCready was grateful to take a load off for the remaining leg of his trip. His arrival would be a surprise and though tired from the road once his farm came into view the sight energized him.

It was already midmorning, the autumnal chill visible in wisps of fog and the mist from the pack brahmin's breaths. Rapping his knuckles on the side of the wagon he said "I'll walk from here. Brahmin are liable to stumble."

The wagon halted and gathering his things MacCready slid off his seat, legs aching. The walk from the path to his home wasn't far but seemed like miles. Just as well. He could use a stretch.

Bidding the caravaners farewell he started toward home with a light heart that sank with every step. Diane made good on her promise to help him but asking got her nowhere. Maybe Zelling was arrested or exiled. He couldn't think of the other alternative.

Wonder if she heard my song.

Two figures appeared on the porch. Victoria cupped her hands to her mouth and shouted "RJ!"

Raising a hand high MacCready called back "Hey! Victoria!"

Teddy was beside her wiping his hands on a rag. He turned back toward the house but when he looked back he and Victoria stumbled apart to let a small figure bound down the steps. Then MacCready heard the sweetest sound in the world.

"Daddy!"

Still in his pajamas Duncan raced toward his father and dropping his pack and letting his rifle slide to the dirt MacCready held out his arms as the boy collided with him, throwing his arms around his neck. MacCready held Duncan so tightly the boy grunted. For a while he couldn't speak and his throat burned. He remembered what Teddy had said and let the joy trickle down his cheeks, kissing Duncan on his forehead.

MacCready opened his eyes to see Teddy picking up his things so he could carry Duncan into the house. He was lighter, MacCready noticed but as they settled in Duncan set right back to his breakfast at Victoria's urging. She made MacCready a plate too and though he was hungry and grateful he didn't want to do anything that could take his eyes off Duncan.

They were all quiet except for Duncan's thousand questions, humming, slurping, open mouth crunching and Victoria's admonishment. Everything was back to normal. Tomorrow Teddy and Victoria would return home and leave MacCready to his old routine. They could catch up another time.

-

The autumn turned bitter cold and the first breath of winter coated the wasteland in glittering white.
One afternoon as MacCready was reading Duncan to sleep a knock came at the door. But who could it be in this weather? All of his neighbors had a distinctive knock. His eyes leapt to the gun rack and back. Duncan was safe in his room. Gunners come to collect? No he was being paranoid now.

"H-hello? Is anyone home?"

MacCready yanked open the door. Standing on his porch, fist raised to knock Zelling blinked at him in surprise. Stepping out onto the porch MacCready closed the door behind him and stared at her. She had on an enormous hooded sweatshirt with bold black white and purple stripes, so large her hands didn't show when they were at her sides as they were now.

"Hey, RJ." She said uneasily. "I have a couple days furlough, I didn't want them, I said give them to someone else because I didn't have the courage to talk to you..." She trailed off, expecting him to speak. But MacCready just stared. "Paladin Danse said I owed you an apology and I got transferred back to the Citadel because there's some stuff I'm working on, top secret type stuff they want my expertise on there so..."