4

There is a coolness in the air.

"Yo —- what y'all niggas up to?" Pompey asks.

He acts like he didn't see what just happened with Taz kissing me but I know he saw it. There is awkwardness all over Pompey's face. It should make Taz feel uncomfortable but Taz doesn't seem to even acknowledge Pompey walking up.

I touch my lips. There was a ferocity in Taz's kiss but what he said after about my scars makes my body entire stir as though he'd lit a match in my mouth.

"Ain't shit. Just talking," Taz states staring at me instead of Pompey in a way that is so hot I feel a thrill run up my leg, "Dijon just agreed to be part of the band."

"We still doing that man? Maybe we should wait till the protests calm down."

"Nah,". Taz states, "Dijon is gonna be the voice of the people."

"You sure you want that kinda attention. There's a lot of civil unrest right now yo," Pompey questions me.

He had a point. I felt a little like me joining this band at a time where the entire city was paying attention to every word that I said as a victim of police brutality would make a statement.

Pompey gives me a reason to rethink it but before I can say anything Taz interrupts.

"Pompey—why don't you give us a second?"

Pompey looks over at me, "Yo it's getting late bruh. You want me to take you home D?"

"I got him, nigga dam!" Taz states finally turning to Pompey.

The tension is thick for a reason. Taz kind of snaps on him a little bit. I don't even expect it when he does it. Taz was always aggressive in his own way but Pompey didn't seem like a punk either in any way.

Surprisingly though Pompey gives a little grunt and just says, "Yeah aight..." before turning away.

"Y'all good?" I ask him.

He is looking off at Pompey in the distance, "That nigga a hater. I know what he gonna say already."

"What he gonna say?" I ask, interested at all the tension that just happened between the two.

He shakes his head, "Don't worry about that shawty. What just happened before he interrupted us?"

I can't read his face when he says what he says. He isn't smiling. He isn't grimacing. He's just staring at me with this sexy ass curious look. His eyes squinting in this mysterious way. He was giving me a poker face and putting everything that happened back on me.

"You tell me," I push it right back onto Taz, causing him to smirk a little bit. I quickly add, "You're the one who kissed me."

"Ayo lower your voice nigga," he states.

He does it in an aggressive way that think he really jerks forward to hit me or something. That doesn't happen. He doesn't hit me. Instead, he grinds his body up against me on the car. Somehow he presses himself up against me so aggressively that my legs separate on top of the car and his body intertwines against me. I can almost feel the weight of his dick between my jeans. He's inches away from me. I can smell the warmth of his breath.

"My bad," I state.

"Yeah. You're bad, bro," he states, "Get in. I'm taking yo' ass home."

~

We get back to my side of town in no time. He speeds through traffic to get me to my dorm. I'm shocked when halfway through traffic he races another guy with me in the car. I want to scream at him to stop but another part of me wants him to think I'm cool. The cool side wins over. So I sit there acting fucking cool as Taz races another car on the busy expressway going 115 miles per hour down a busy expressway. I think somehow I must have passed out with my eyes open. I didn't make a peep though and when it was all over we were quickly on my side of town in front of my dorm.