9

Wren's dad, Officer McHenry has come to our dorm. He doesn't know I'm sitting in the bathroom. He's talking to Wren. He's telling him all this stuff.

One of Coin's friends set him up. They gave McHenry the sex tape and McHenry targeted Coin.

But which friend? I wish so much that Wren would ask that question but instead, he just nods.

"I think I know which one," he says out of nowhere and just shakes his head, "It all makes sense now. Why haven't you come out with the true story?"

Officer McHenry shrugs, "It would still be considered a hate crime. So instead of the blacks protesting, the fags would be. Didn't mean fag son..."

"Yeah," Wren awkwardly responds, "You heard about the tape..."

"Listen, son. I might not agree with it but you told me you were bisexual years ago. And if you were ever gonna fuck somebody I was glad it was that....mothafucking...."

He growls something under his breath. I can't hear it, but it makes my blood burn a little bit seeing this guy who killed Coin so close to me. He had so much hatred for Coin. Coin had ruined his life forever whether he beat this case or not. The country knew him forever as the racist white cop who innocent Coin.

Except now since that video had come out Coin wasn't so innocent anymore. Fox news had a talking point.

A conservative best friend were the gays so they could have a fucking talking point against the protests.

"Damn?" Wren looks surprised, "This is how you react when a gay sex tape comes out? You treated me like you hated anything gay for years..."

I'm glad Wren calls him out on his shit. It's so goddam obvious. When I found out Wren was gay I should have put it together that this was the reason they were estranged, to begin with. But now he seemed almost proud of his son.

"They not the enemy now. It's these black lives matter people...ruining my life and the reputation of this uniform that I wear."

"And you fucked him, right in the ass!" one of McHenry's men shouts out.

I hadn't even noticed them at the door from where I was. I couldn't see them until I hear all of them in the background listening in to this conversation and laughing at the idea of Wren fucking Coin in the ass.

"That's what he gets," McHenry says, "We try to keep these streets clean and this is what we get in return. The major of this fucking city feeding me to the jungle to save her political career. All I've done for this city!"

"That's right McHenry," a few of them respond.

It was a circle jerk to massive proportions. It's so strange to me because Wren seems to ignore the subtle racist remarks that they are making.

But then I realize his silence is only because he is thinking. He is thinking of something that I hadn't even thought of yet.

"Dad, can I ask you a question?"

"Yes..."

"Is that party the first time you seen that video?"

My mouth drops when he asks that question. But then I look at Wren's father and he just seems stone-faced.

"The hard truth is if it comes out that I knew him they could move my charges from 2nd-degree murder to 1st degree premeditated."

"Is that a yes or a no?"

"I knew the face," McHenry says to his son, "I went through your phone one night and saw those messages. I recognized the face in those texts."

What the fuck? My mouth drops. If this came out this would it would change a lot.