Chapter 2

"What about Aiden?" asks my mother, I see the worry and concern growing in her eyes.

"I think he's hiding something," I say, "He hasn't seemed himself lately."

My mother took a sigh of relief, "Brody, honey, you are leaving in the morning. I think it's normal that he acts differently. He is trying to get used to life without you here."

"You're growing up, bud. This is new territory for both of you, everything will be okay." My father agrees.

"Thanks for the talk, guys," I say, getting up from the floor, "It's my last night in the house and I think I am going to spend it in my bed."

"Goodnight, my sweet boy." says my mother as she moves my messy brown hair out of my eyes.

My parents are right, this is new, and it is weird. Aiden and I have been inseparable for more than a decade.  I think I will miss him the most, and even though things will work out, this will be the hardest transition to date. Damn, this was going to be complicated. I left early that next morning just after breakfast.

"Bye baby, drive safe and go find your adventure." The pride was beaming on my mother's face as I closed the trunk of my car.

"My son," said my father, " You will do great things in this life, I know it. I cannot wait to see all that you accomplish, and always remember to stay true to yourself."

I embrace them in what is quite possibly the strongest hug I have ever given them and move to the hardest goodbye of all, Aiden.

"I'm going to miss you so much, I wish you didn't have to leave me." he said, and I swear those were the words that could shatter a person's soul. They certainly shattered mine at that moment, but there was no way in hell I was going to let Aiden see me cry.

"Aiden, you  will always be the one true wonder in my life. I am never going to leave you because I am your brother. But, I do have to go to school. I will only be gone until Thanksgiving, I promise."

He gives me a hug and says, "I'll write you a letter every week."

I laugh, "Okay, little wonder." 

I used to call him that when we were younger, and I think he likes it, as much as he wants to be more like me. I told him on occasion to not wish his life away. I think that's when it became an important piece of the puzzle for him and his identity. 

For the sake of nostalgia, I decided to take one last sweep through the house, not quite ready to leave this all behind. I stop abruptly at the end of my sweep, looking at the portrait hung above the mantle of the fireplace. It was taken right after I had graduated from high school, I laugh because it was before Aiden hit his growth spurt. My mother had just launched her company, which was an interior design studio and my father had given up his position at the college to become a full-time author. And me, wearing that black leather jacket, it never seemed to fit my personality much but it was still my favorite article of clothing. Maybe some day it will fit me better than it did then. Lastly, there was Aiden, with his affinity for dinosaurs. He wants to be a paleontologist some day, and I know he will be, as smart as he is. Looking at this picture, I am surprised at how much I resemble my father, same facial structure, same green eyes, the only difference is my hair is a shade darker. my mother an Aiden seem to also be identical, the same blonde hair and bright blue eyes.

"Alright Brody, time to get going." My father says.

My mother has tears in her eyes, as I get behind the wheel. I hear the muffled sound of my father saying something along the lines of "oh Harper" and her response of "Henry, that's my baby". I give a final wave as I pull out of the driveway. I am barely away from the house before I see Aiden chasing me down the street in the middle mirror.

"Fuck kid, you're going to break my heart," I mumble as he slowly starts to disappear from view. 

Here's to a grueling 29 hours to Albuquerque.

The next 29 hours were brutal, stopping for the bathroom, food, gas, and the occasional sleep in a store parking lot. Which is admittedly, was not the best decision. I couldn't afford motels and gas so I had to make a choice. I was excited when I pulled into the parking lot of my dorm, mostly because that means that I wasn't confined to a car anymore. I packed light so it was easy to get to my room on the third floor. I didn't want to make to many trips so I stacked boxes pretty high.

"Hey!" a voice said, "Watch it!"

I peer around the boxes and see a girl with her things sprawled across the floor, "My apologies, Red."

The girl huffs, picking up her belongings. " The name's Genesis, not Red." 

I smirk at her annoyance, " Well, Red, looks like we're neighbors."

In the weeks that followed that day, classes went well. Aiden's letters came every Friday in the beginning, but now they are few and far between, and my worry increases as memories of the days before I came here and the feeling I had before my conversation with my parents. I call my father, no answer. Call my mother, no answer. I try to push away the thoughts and go about my day.

"Hey Jerk." It was Genesis, waving slightly.

"Hey, Red." I reply,  over the last month we've become friendly. 

We talked in passing often, since she lives across the hallway. Sometimes I linger at the door if I hear her coming. She has a good spirit, and I find her attractive. But I'm not sure if it will come to anything. 

Later that evening, my phone rang, it was my father.

"Hey Dad, what's up?" I say.

My phone hit the ground as I heard his words.

Your brother passed away last night.