Chapter One

Note!

This is a work of fiction.

I don't work or even study in the medical field. All the medical terms and procedures that would be mentioned are based on what I researched on the internet.

Madi's Pov.

I switched off my phone after seeing Lillana's reply. As I decided to go out, I carried my clipboard folder with me, a smile never slipping my lips. Ngunit kung minamalas ka nga naman...

"Madi!"

The smile on my lips slowly faded away upon hearing a familiar voice. I turned around to see Demetrie. She's holding loads of paper bags, which I assume is that she went shopping, again.

"Wow. What is Demetrie doing here?" I sarcastically asked when she got in front of me.

"Visiting my ex-friend? Duh. Of course not." she plastered her annoying smile, "Is Lillana here? I wanna give this to her."

She pointed out the Bottega Voneta paper bag she was holding. My eyes squinted. What's with this woman?

"Do you need something?" I asked, suspiciously.

Her eyes rolled, "I'm just being nice. And besides, it's her birthday, right? Can't miss a birthday to give a gift for my inaanak."

"FYI, you are not her ninang."

"Well, you'll never know, Mads." she winked.

"Dr. Elizaga!"

On cue, I heard my daughter's voice. She welcomed me with a short but tight hug. I can see in my peripheral vision that Demetrie is looking at us, Lia must have not noticed her. Buti nga.

"Happy Birthday!" I smiled. She scrunches her nose and suddenly lands her eyes on Demetrie.

"Oh, Tita Demetrie! How are you po?"

"Lillana! I'm doing more than fine! How are you? Happy Birthday! You know what, I have a gift for you. But I don't think your Mama likes that idea. She's killjoy, we--" she was interrupted when her phone started ringing.

"Oh, no. I have to go. Pero this, it's for you, inaanak. I'll see you when I see you." she gave the paper bag to Lia and kissed her cheek before leaving.

We watched Demeterie as she walked away, heels clicking loudly. My lips pursed and my eyes squinted when she stopped to smile at Dr. Solano, the head of the orthopedic department. Seriously?

Lia faced me with an unexplainable look. "Uh, what was that? You two are on good terms na?"

I shrugged my head, "You know that woman... She disappears, then appears out of nowhere." I clicked my tongue and held her hand.

"You look good in scrubs. It fits you so well." I crowed. She pursed her lips and smiled.

"Just like you," she replied. "By the way, Titas and Ninang are looking for you po pala."

I tuck her hair behind her ears. "Okay then, I'll see you later. Good luck today. Happy Birthday again, Lia!"

•••

I was busy reading for my surgery later nang biglang three familiar voices approached my office. Napailing na lang ako when I look up and see my friends grinning at me.

"Nakita ko si Demetrie, why is she here? Nagkabalikan na ba kayo?" Diana asked, sounding so teaseful. I heard the other two laugh, making my eyes roll.