Chapter Four

Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God!

His eyes widened in surprise and so did mine. None of us uttered any more words after letting out each other's names. I don't even know what I'll do now! Kesa naman tumakbo ako? That would be weird and embarrassing. Excusing myself wouldn't do either. Baka isipin niya pang iniiwasan ko siya, which is sort of true.

"You two know each other po?"

We looked at Lyle who spoke from behind. His brows are a bit creased, probably weirded out of the silence, and perplexed about how we know each other's names.

I felt Levi took a step forward but still kept a distance between us both. I simply looked at him, and I think he saw that.

Come on, answer your son. I bit my upper lip. My God, dudugo na ang labi ko sa kakakagat ko.

"We were schoolmates way back in college. Your Titos know her too." he eventually answered, "Where is your Mom?"

He glanced at me and I unconsciously lifted my brows.

Mahabaging langit, get me out of this now! I shut my eyes firmly, and when I opened it, they landed on Lyle who was already looking at me. Nginitian ko na lang siya before taking a minor step backward.

Dee, where are you? Why did you leave me here?

As if on cue, heaven might have heard me that Diana came in, smiling. But it all withered away as soon as she saw Levi, eyes dilating. Same reaction of what he and I put together a while ago.

"Wh—Levi," her eyebrows were narrowly creased as she put a forced smile, "How are you?"

I coughed. What the hell?

Kanina lang ang dami niyang complain at sinasabi tungkol sa lalaking 'to, ah. Take note, it was all an unpleasant disposition. I cannot believe this woman! I can't even read if she's sincere with her question or if she was just being plastic, eh.

Napatingin ako kay Levi. He is once again stunned, but he gives a small smile anyway. "I-I'm good! How about you and Rick?"

"We are doing well," she answered, looking at us, alternately. "Y-You are Lyle's father?"

He nodded. And everyone went silent, again.

I glimpsed at Lyle. Nakatingin lang siya sa amin, and I know by the look on his face, that he wants to ask us questions... Pero dahil mas matanda sa kaniya ang mga nag-uusap, I guess he settled on not doing it so.

Then I turn around to face the two who are still reserved and fixed on their positions. I sigh silently before deciding to break the awkwardness going on in this wide room.

"I'll be back later, Lyle." I smiled at him, and then I looked at Levi, "Call us instantly when there needs to be an immediate response. I'll answer your concerns when I get back, Mr. Zamora."

Mariin akong ngumiti bago lumabas. Diana followed me. And as soon as we were out of that room, I harshly slammed my head on the wall.

Mr. Zamora? Really, Mads? Really? I groaned.

"Madi, I'm so sorry! I didn't know that Lyle was the son of Levi. I should have known that, based on his looks and surname. Why am I so naïve?!" she started pulling her hair out of frustration.

"How old is he?" I asked her.

She looked at me, confused. "Si Levi?"

"Si Lyle, Diana. Sa tingin mo, I don't know Levi's age. And why would I even ask for his age kung nakalimutan ko nga?"

"I don't know! But to answer your first question, he is twenty-four. Same age with our children."

Tumango ako, then I questioned her, "What was the 'how are you?' about? Alam mo, hindi ka kapani-paniwala kanina."

She raised her left brow at me, her lips forming an 'O' shape, "I was caught off guard, but it was a sincere question, 'no! I'm not that unkind."

"We should rewind our conversation from earlier. What do you think?" I squinted my eyes.

"Think of whatever you want to think, I already told you that it was a sincere question." she said in a given-up tone, "How do you feel, anyway?"

I scoffed then I turned my back on her, moving my feet gradually toward the elevator. Narinig ko ang pagtawag niya sa pangalan ko, there is a hint of threat in her voice. I continued walking until I managed to get in the elevator, Diana then followed while looking at me as she pressed the button.

"Walking away and refusing to answer my question just means that you are contrived to have him around." the elevator latched, "We can talk here, Madison."

Full first name basis... she's dead serious.

I sighed laboriously, "Fine. I know twenty-three years have passed. I don't feel anything more than uneasiness with him, and I think, one factor is that we didn't have the proper closure we both needed."

Oh, hell. Mali, Madi!

"Teka, anong twenty-three years? Isn't it supposed to be twenty-five?" she asked confusedly.

My tongue clicked, and then I gazed upward to see what floor we were on. Nararamdam ko ang tingin niya sa akin, her arms are now intersected. This means only one thing... I can't escape her new set of questions.

"What happened twenty-three years ago, Madison? If I look back, ilang buwan ka ring hindi nagpakita sa amin no'n kasi nasa New York ka na pala. Even when you came back here, ilang buwan ka rin naming hindi nakita. You don't even reply. We went to your condo, wala ka roon; sa bahay ng parents mo, wala ka rin doon. Unfortunately, we assumed you were dead."

I gave her an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you all behind. It's just, I thought I needed a long break from everything at that time, you know."

*Ting

"I do know, dear... But I also know that there is something that we are yet to find out about you. It may be a sensitive matter, but once you're ready... We are all ears."

I smiled timidly, then we stepped out of the elevator. She motioned me to get going as she headed the other way.

Napahawak ako sa dingding nang alalahanin ang mga sinabi niya kanina.

What happened twenty-three years ago?

That was the drastic point of my life. Hell, I would've changed every decision and step I made at that time. Hindi siguro ako nasaktan, wala sigurong nawalan ng buhay.

But in your years of living, making mindless decisions is inevitable. And in my venture, I made such a decision because I was hauled away by my emotions. Walang hiyang feelings kasi 'to.