Chapter Two

10:41 pm

"Bye! See you tomorrow, buds, Titas!" Lia and I are outside the gate of our house. They are now heading home after the dinner and lots of chikas we had.

After bidding our goodbyes, we decided to go back inside, but she stopped when we were in front of the main door. She looks at me, pouting. I raised my brow giving my what do you want look.

"Let's buy ice cream, Ma," she said sweetly while clinging to my arm. I chuckled.

"Go get your jacket first. It's cold outside. And the key, Lia." I ordered and she squealed before making her way inside. It didn't take a minute for her to be back.

"Now, let's go!" she said as she clung to my arm again.

I locked the door and then off we went. While we were walking, I just let her talk and talk. I love hearing her kwentos. And that's our bonding, we'll never miss out on telling anything about what happened in our day. That's what keeps me smiling every day.

"Wait, my love. Smile. I'll take pics. Dali!" I told her that's why she paused and looked at the camera. I frowned when I saw her not smiling that's why I stopped, "I told you to smile. Come on."

"Ma, if I will flash my smile, boys will ask your daughter out. Do you want that? I don't want that. You know that my smile is my asset." she said and wiggled her brows. I looked at her unbelievably. Sometimes, I am thinking of how this girl got her confidence.

Who raised her? You. Whose environment did she grow up in? Yours. Why ask if that's how you are too? A conversation was formed in my thoughts.

Yeah, right...

"Let's go na nga." I held on to her arm and we walked to the nearest convenience store.

•••

I was outside waiting on the bench for Lia because she's at the counter, paying for the ice cream and some snacks she picked. My forehead automatically creased when a guy went near her, still hasn't taken off his look at my daughter and he's intentionally letting his arm touch Lia. Looking at her, she is uneasy and annoyed. I decided to stand up and go inside the store. Lia sighed in relief when she saw me.

"Hon, your Dad is on his way na raw to pick us up." I lied. She looked at me, confused, so her lips formed into a thin line. "And you, are you done looking and getting touchy? You'll be under the gun once her father is here, mister." I told off. The guy beside her looked at me, blinking his eyes multiple times before taking a step back and swallowing the lump in his throat.

Lia smiled at me.

"489 pesos po, Ma'am."

"Thank you."

After that, we went outside and started eating our ice cream. We're not heading home, instead, we just go to wherever our feet bring us.

"Ma, I had a thought." she started. "My father... What is he like? Have you met him? Where is he?"

I gulped. I was only expecting the where is he question whenever I think of Lia asking me about this someday. But instead, I got three.

"No... I don't know where he is." she just nodded and continued eating her ice cream, a sort of dismay was plastered on her face. "B-But we can look for them."

She once again looked at me and smiled, "I'm doing great now. And I'm fine with just the two of us."

She added, "And of course, Kai."