Dention; Krista

Okay, so I tried saying thank you to Ymir but she just gave me the cold shoulder...once again. I guess i'll just do this project myself somehow, and never talk to her ever again, or show her any type of attention. She won't think i'm a burden then. Yeah, that sounds good. When I came back to class Mr. Ackerman gave me detention. Annie's going to kill me. I'm missing our afternoon car ride. Then she's going to ask why, and i'll have to tell her I got detention for chasing around Ymir. She'll murder me.

My hands shake slightly as I open the door knob ms. Hanji's room, otherwise known as Crazy science teacher. The rooms empty besides a couple kids in the back, probably in here for not doing homework or something.

"Hi." I smile at Hanji, and she smiles back before going back to her work as I slide into a chair.

Silence fills the room and I stare off into space. I've finished all my work, so i've got nothing but thinking to do. I don't think I can do this any more. What I mean by 'this' is Annie. I've been denying this to myself, but now i'm admitting it; Annie is abusive. I've known this for a while but I couldn't admit it to myself. What good does this do me anyway? I can't leave her. She'll guilt trick me into thinking that I owe her my love, my body, my will. Just because she saved me. What's worse is that I feel like I do owe her this. You know what's funny? Ymir saved me, but all she wants in return is for me to complete the project by myself. Anyway, I can't tell anyone either. They'll never believe me. To everyone else, Annie is this straight A student who can be sassy and cynical, but never causes trouble. She keeps to herself and doesn't speak to anyone other than me. To me, Annie is an abusive, obsessive control freak who knows how to break me and put the little pieces of me back together like a childs puzzle. No one else sees this. She covers it up very well. They'll think i'm the girl who cried–

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when I hear the door opening, and Ymir walks in. My stomach drops to the floor. I start fiddling with my wine red scarf and pretend to not notice her, but I can see her smirk as in the corner of my eye as she sees me. 

"What are you in for?" She whispers slyly, walking by my desk. "Stealing a marker or telling someone to shut–"

I cut her off before she continues teasing. I'm not this innocent little girl like they think I am. "For chasing you, Ymir." I say, side eyeing her. 

She pauses for about 5 seconds, then plops down into the seat next to me with a huff. Not a peep from her for the next 15 minutes. I go back into my thinking. I think i'm going to leave Annie. Today. 

"Krista." I feel a tap on my shoulder and I just know it's Ymir. "Why did you do that? What you did earlier?" 

"What? Thank you?" She nods. "Because, what you did for me yesterday. I would've been raped, beaten, kidnapped or worse if it weren't for you. You're a hero, well, my hero." I shrug, facing forwards. 

A long five minutes passes before she says anything else. 

"Well, you're wel–" She takes a deep breath and I see roll her eyes. "You're welcome. But! Never speak of this again." 

"Okay, Ymir." My cheeks suddenly warm up and I feel a laugh coming on. Before I know it, i'm giggling non-stop as quietly as I can so Ms. Hanji Zoe won't hear me. 

"What?" I look at her her, and she has that blank face on that she usually wears. 

"You," I wipe a tear from my eye. I laughed so hard I cried a little. Ha. "the way you try to maintain your toughness." 

"W-what? I don't–I am–" I swear for a second I see her cheeks change color, but then she looks away. Did I just make big, scary Ymir blush? 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you." I chuckle and she glares at me. 

"Why were you on that side of town anyway? Don't you live in the suburbs?" She raises an eyebrow at me, changing the conversation. 

"Uh.." Quick Krista, think. "My girlfriend–uh I don't–"

"Your girlfriend left you out there?"

"N-no! She wouldn't.." 

"She totally did. I see it. You suck at lying, Krista Lenz. Why would she do that? Doesn't she know it's dangerous?" 

I hate this. How does she see through me like glass? That's how she was when she saved me. She knew i'd seen worse. It's like she can read minds. 

"Well, she did. But I was supposed to go somewhere else and got lost. It was entirely my fault." I lie, hoping it will satisfy Ymir and she'll leave me alone.

"Hm.." She taps her chin, then drops her hand. "Oh." I can tell she doesn't believe me, but she let's it go.

"What were you doing out there?" 

"I live out there. You didn't know?" She shrugs, that monotone voice and blank face returning. 

"Oh.." Wow. Ymir lives out in the bad side of town. Must be why she's so ill mannered and hateful.

She sinks back into her chair, messing with her nails. "If you think that's why I am the way I am, you're wrong."

My breath catches in my throat. I swear, she knows everything i'm thinking. I think she's a mind reader. I stare at her with confusion written all over my face, "I don't...what?"

She glares at me once again as if saying "don't try to cover it up, you jerk."

"Then...why are you like th-"

"Krista and Ymir! Do you both want detention tomorrow as well?" Hanji yells, cracking her knuckles.

Ymir rolls her eyes and I shake my my head No, then put my head down. I really do want to know why Ymir is so cold hearted, rude and violent. Maybe something like what happened to me happened to her. We all handle things differently. Throughout the rest of detention, I couldn't help but sneak glances at Ymir. I've never actually looked at Ymir. Like REALLY looked. I noticed she has very dark chestnut hair, that she always wears in a low ponytail. Huh. Always thought it was black. She also has lighting brown eyes, that bring out her tiny freckles that cross from her left cheek, across her small nose, to her right cheek. Honestly, Ymir is hot. Everything about her. Her height, voice, face, body. Everything. Ugh, how come I didn't notice this before?

The timer on Ms. Hanjis watch went off, signaling that detention was over. I stood up quickly, grabbing my slightly heavy bookbag and threw it over my shoulder, getting ready to walk out the door behind the other kids and get back to Annie before she kills me, when I feel a strong grip on my arm. I turn around and see it's Ymir. She gently yanks me over to the side so I don't get run over by the other kids leaving.

"Krista Lenz, i'm going to ask you a question i've never asked anyone before."

My stomach drops. "Hm?"

"Do you want to hang out with me?"

And just like that, my entire life changes.

--------

Sorry for short chapter, school is really making things tight rn. Love you guys, enjoy. <3