Mine Would Be You - crinkle-eyed-boo (KimmieRocks)

Summary:

Louis blinks his eyes open, his eyelids fluttering as the room swims around him. He takes several gulps of beer once he confirms that he's definitely not hallucinating, that the very first portrait Harry Styles ever painted of him is hanging on that wall.

Louis stares at the wall, his heart jackrabbiting in his chest as he realizes that there's not just one painting of him, there's five, the portraits lined up like they're some sort of storyboard depicting the rise and fall of his deepest love. His greatest heartache. A pain that cut him so deep that he left the fucking country, severing all ties with his life in New York, now suddenly surrounding him as if he'd never left.

Fucking shit motherfucker fuck.

Louis returns to New York City five years after he left it – and the love of his life – behind. He didn't intend to see Harry again, but fate has a funny way of pulling them together, whether they like it or not. After making a begrudging truce, they both start to wonder: Would it be so bad if history repeated itself?

Things I liked:

- quite simply i fuck with this so hard

- it made me cry (my eyes are also shitty and dry so they start tearing regardless but i think i felt the emotional part of crying)

- such strong character development and u can see it because of how it's written and like the timing the author uses

- i think genuinely one of the best fics i've read in a while

- also top harry. which again - i don't typically fuck with but the dynamics were perfect

15 Chapters, 114,696 Words

(also my computer is no long :( so the link is back externally but i figure i'll just put it in the comments too in case if it's easier for ppl to access especially on their phones)