VII

Sometimes I feel like I'm floating

Sometimes I feel like I'm floating. Like I just drift around only half aware of my surroundings. That was what was happening at dinner the second night I was there. As they all talked and laughed, I sat silent watching and observing. Being silent was a habit. It stopped being a conscious decision a long time ago.

"And I give you my famous french toast casserole." Logan announced putting a large glass Pyrex down on the table. Inside of it was bread stacked in a line covered with what looked to be syrup and cinnamon. It was piping hot, judging by the steam, but that didn't seem to deter the boys, who dug in so fast, I was afraid they might knock me over if I got in the way. "Boys, are pigs Iz. You'll learn that pretty fast." She rolled her eyes playfully making us both giggle. "Here you go ladies."

Jace placed a plate in front of both of us, smiling when we thanked him. Before I was full, I managed to eat a good bit of the food, which was apparently bread soaked in egg then dipped in sugar, which sounded gross to me but one bite proved me wrong. Everyone was surprised and Logan was slightly horrified that I had never tasted French toast. I just shrugged saying that now I had, not wanting to explain why home cooked meals were never on the menu for me. When I put my fork down, Tyler and Jace both gave me a look.

"Are you finished Izzy?" Tyler asked quietly, showing he intended only for me to hear. I nodded. "It was very good thank you." he sighed looking down at my more than half full plate. "Listen, you know your body best so if you're really full you don't have to eat more but I would really love it if you could at least try and eat a few more bites." I looked down at the food hesitantly, feeling as if I would explode from everything I ate already today.

"I'm full." I mumbled quietly. He nodded, accepting my choice. "Okay, it's up to you sweetheart." I gave him an appreciative look grateful that he hadn't involved the whole family. "Thank you for keeping it between us." I said quietly. He grabbed my arm that was resting on the table and squeezed it with a small on his face. "You're very welcome Iz." For the rest of the meal I stayed quiet watching it all unfold.

"Fin, do you have a Football game Friday?" Nolan asked turning the conversation away from the argument Logan and Henry had previously been starting. "Yeah, hopefully we'll win this time." He grumbled. "You guys got creamed last game." Logan chuckled with a mouthful of food, earning him a smack on the back of the head by Nolan.

"Can you at least pretend you have some manners?" Tyler pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance. Logan swallowed the bite in his mouth and mumbled a sheepish apology. "What about you Em? Soccer game on Thursday right?" Jace looked at my twin who nodded excitedly. "Coach said I was gonna be a starter." She beamed. "That's awesome honey!" Tyler praised squeezing her shoulder. "Yeah, I'm super excited."

It was like I was watching through a window. Their discussions had no room for an outsider. And that's what I was to them. Whether they recognized that or not that's how it was. I didn't know about Finley playing football, or Emma playing soccer. I didn't know that Finley's team lost the last game or that Emma had been working to be put on as a starter. I wasn't a part of their world and I suppose after 24 hours I couldn't expect to be, but this was just proving how large the gap between us was.