1 5 : 展望

Perspective

"It must be because I have suffered a bit more than normal," Mei says as she puts a palm on her cheek, sighing. "A critical condition, maybe?"

Nene stares at her before also sighing, "I can't believe you've been all through that and you're not even frustrated right now."

"I can't waste my energy moping about something that I can't control," she shrugs as she gives her a small smile. "I have to get better so that I can come back to school and finally clear all the misunderstandings."

Hanako purses his lips as he crosses his arms, "It's amazing how you can be so optimistic, you know? Has anyone told you how you're like a ball of sunshine whose energy is never-ending? It almost feels surreal."

"It is surreal, especially when it's raining like this." Mei laughs at him as she points outside.

"I'm really happy that you still want to live and go back even after all that, but," Nene tilts her head to the side a bit, a frown on her face. "How come?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, as Hanako has said, you're really amazing. How come you can still be nice and free to openly explain everything like they never doubted you?" Nene looked down at her hands with furrowed eyebrows, they were almost knitted together, as she felt confused. "I mean, they were so mean to you. It feels so wrong and hard when someone doesn't believe you even when you're telling the truth, right?"

Mei stares at her, falling silent with what she said. Her words were true though; being thought that you're a liar when you're telling nothing but the truth felt the worst. Especially when it's because you're being judged for something so simple.

But to her, all of that didn't matter; if there are still people who belive in her, no matter how few — or even it's just herself — she will still go on.

"The truth is, I really want to change the world," she says as she puts a palm on the window pane, smiling as she stares out at the still pouring rain. "It's kind of an extraordinary thought coming from someone as deathly ill as me, but I want to change the world's perspective, even if my only instrument is my art."

Her paintings were unintentionally ambiguous at first; no, she did not think of that all from the start — in fact, the thought of it just kind of built up while she was on the way. When she first made "Iridescent" to "Guiding Light", it never really occured to her until everyone pointed it out in a different light.

And that was when she finally found her dream and goal — to change the way how the world sees things in a completely new way.

Mei did have a talent with doing art, indeed. But she just treated it as something like a hobby before. She didn't really care if she gets into some art school and just end up as an artist her whole life. Well, as long as she could hold on to a paint brush, there will be no problem. She can spend her whole life with that.

She wanted people to think more deeply about art; because paintings aren't just something that you buy and spend lots of dollars with, just to hang it in a hallway. She wants to convey her feelings and have them pour out into the eyes of her art, portraying it to the world. So that she could share her feelings.

Because art has been — and always will be — about making you feel something.

That was her dream.

"I sympathize with the rain a lot that's why I managed to create that last painting I left at school," she says, grinning as she rubs her thumb on the pane. "I don't know why. I guess it just makes me feel something inexplicable too."

Hanako's lips curled into a smile as he gazes at the brown-haired lass from across him, "Your dream sounds nice. And I guess you're moving and moving closer to your goal, no matter how you look at it; you're also making our minds think beautifully as you share your thoughts," he then points at his ears. "Tell me when you hear a bell ringing, okay?"

He said that so suddenly that Nene had to do a double take at his innocent smile, shooting him an incredulous look, "Hanako—?!"

But Mei's next words made her heart beat faster than what Hanako said.

"Is that so? I haven't been saying anything at all because I thought you guys can hear it too but you're just ignoring it," Mei purses her lips as she plugs her ears, sighing. "It's been ringing in my ears nonstop ever since earlier."

It took Nene to finally react after a few seconds as she pounced onto her, a joyous smile on her face, "Woah, Mei! You will surely fulfill your dream now!"

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Mei laughed as she hugged Nene back.

"You have a second chance to go back to the living world! Congratulations," Hanako cheered as he helped her up. He smirks, "To fully go back, you have to accept it with all your heart. And I'm pretty sure you're more than ready to do that."

"Of course, I am!" Mei giggles. And then, her gaze softens as she holds onto their hands. "Thank you so much for listening to me. You guys just boosted my hope more! If by any chance, we meet again in the living world, I'll make sure to make a painting of the both of you."

"We're more than honoured to have that," Nene smiles as she glances at Hanako. "Moreover, I wish for your full recovery soon. May God heal you soon enough."

"Aww!" Mei purred as she tackled her again. "I'll miss your healthy legs, though!"

"I'm grateful that you appreciate them more than I do," Nene sighs, shaking her head.

"Alright, alright. It's time to go," Hanako speaks up as he pats Nene's back. He turns to Mei with a grin. "Please continue to treasure your life to the fullest. We wish you all the best."

"Thank you." Mei says, one last time as she waves at them.

And then, she disappeared.