3 0 : 最終

Last

Standing almost absent-mindedly at the pavements, she looked up at the faint traces of the moon. It was the daytime, and the mighty sun was out, yet she couldn't help but look at the muted beauty of the pearl from the painted blue and clear sky.

Nene wondered that if it was possible to see the moon in clear daylight, why can't they see the stars at the same time? It was an absurd and random thought, of course, but she wondered how the sky will look if that ever happened. Maybe if that even ever happens, it would finally be the end of the world, the start of dystopia — as the stars would be almost as bright as the sun and moon in each of their times, and then, each of them, one by one, until they all come together as hundreds and thousands, they will fall onto the surface of the earth.

"Oh, that was too dark," Nene giggled to herself as she resumed her walk towards the heart of the town, greeting a lot of people along the way.

It has been two years ever since she woke up from a comatose state. Nene spent the rest of the half year recovering with her body while a year with drafting a novel.

"Good morning, Miss Yashiro," Yokoo greeted her with a lively smile as he opened the door for her. "How have you been?"

"Super fine," she beams at him. "Thanks."

"A big congratulations to you and your first novel debut," Satou waved at her and approached her with an excited expression. "I'm so, so proud of you, Miss Yashiro! I think I'll cry."

"Thank you, too," Nene laughed sheepishly. "Though I doubt it's gonna be a hit novel; I haven't been seeing Mister Tsuchigomori ever since I went back to our manor at the countryside, so I don't know how my novel's been doing."

"Oh, that's right, you did left for seven months right after publishing it," Yokoo grinned and looked at Satou. "Miss Yashiro, I think you should hurry over to Sir Tsuchigomori."

"Huh?" Nene tilted her head and nodded, soon walking towards the back with a hesitant look. "Oh, okay."

"Welcome back," the said curator was back on his seat, flipping through random papers that were seated on his desk. "I suppose you want to know what happened?"

"Well, I do," Nene sighed heavily. "But I'm mostly scared to know."

Soon, Tsuchigomori replied to her by handing her an envelope. Nene just raised an eyebrow at it. He rolled his eyes and chuckled, "Take it, it's yours," he watched her gently take it from him cautiously and open it. Her eyes widened, "It's what you earned from your first debut and hit novel." He took her other hand and gingerly held it with a gentle smile. "Congratulations, Yashiro. You have worked so hard."

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she burried her face into her hands, her heart beating faster. She was in a total state of euphoria at that moment as she sobbed and hugged him, "Are you sure this is mine?"

"It's yours," Tsuchigomori tried to pry her away from him as he rolled his eyes. He wasn't successful enough in the end, so he just let her be, occasionally patting her back. "Or do you want me to take it back?"

"No, no!" Nene finally pulled away and shook her head violently. "This is so important and I don't know how I'm feeling right now, I just feel like this is a good day. The best day, even."

"Okay, then go do whatever you want now. Stroll around and look at the bookshelves. Your book is nearly sold out, but," he shrugged. "I think there's still some more there left. Go check it."