The Ocean

The scouts headed off to the ocean that Armin has always talked about. He says there's so much salt you can never collect it all. They plan to spend the day there.

It's always been Eren, Armin, and Mikasa's dream to go there together, and now it came true.

They arrive on a cliff that hangs over the beach, being careful on their steps down into the sand.

Armin was right. The sea looked like it never ends.

Jean was spectating the trio. He saw Eren talk about the enemy, and how Armin picked up a shell. What really caught his eye is that it was the first time he'd ever seen Mikasa smile. He just drank a handful of saltwater, but her smile was the only thing that was stuck in his head.

He walks up to her as she puts her boots back on.

"M-mikasa? Can I talk to you?"

She turns to him. "Oh, Jean.. I was going to ask you the same. Sit down beside me." She pats the sand beside her.

"What is it?" She asks him.

"O-oh, uh... I sort of forgot. Can you wait until I remember?" He says, trying to play it off and buy time to not make it awkward right off the bat.

"Okay." She mutters, and looks out into the ocean. The breeze picks up her hair and Jean can't help but stare.

"Is there something in my hair?" She touches the top of her head.

Jean immediately looks away. "No, there isn't."

There's an awkward silence.

Jean gulps. "Mikasa, I remember."

She turns her head to him. "What is it?"

"I just wanted to say that y-you're beautiful and you should smile more often." Jean blushes.

"Thank you, Jean. Nobody's ever called me that before."

He makes eye contact with her and she puts a small smile on her face.

"What is it you wanted to tell me?" Jean asks her.

She looks down at the sand, fidgeting with it.

"After I saw the ocean, I see now that there is nothing to lose... I.. I like you, Jean."

Jean looks at her in shock, as she's not a person to confess like that.

"It's okay if you don't like me back..." She mumbles and continues drawing shapes in the sand.

Her gaze is still down. Her hair covers the sides on her face. She feels so embarrassed.

Thankfully, Jean has always felt this way about Mikasa. She just never noticed it. He tucks her hair behind her ear and plants a kiss on her cheek. To her surprise, she turns her face to him.

"I've always liked you, Mikasa. It was so obvious."He smiles.

After that, they admired the sunset hand in hand.