Unconscious

"Jean? Jean?! Wake up!! Can you hear me?!"

It's my fault.

I got caught by titan because I recklessly launched myself at Bertholdt and Eren. Then, Jean swooped in and blinded the titan, but got caught in the process. I killed the titan then looked for Jean, but he was on the ground bleeding and unconscious. It seems that he's fatally injured. He should've just left me, but I know that he wouldn't.

He's on the wagon, laying down beside me as the scouts make it back to the walls. I think I broke my ribs. It hurts, but it hurts more to look at Jean in this state.

"You're pretty dumb, you know?" I tell him while rubbing my thumb over his cheekbone to wipe the blood on his face.

"But, you're also pretty brave." I whisper, then I start to run my hand through his hair. "You've always told me that my hair was beautiful."

I see a small smile form on his lips.

"I have no regrets." He whispers.

"You're saying that like you're gonna die." I reply.

"I might... before we get to HQ."

Tears start to form in my eyes.

"Please, just... try to hang on." I rub his shoulder.

"I'm glad that... I get to die beside you." He says, voice raspy.

"Don't say that. You're not going to die." My voice shakes with fear.

"I'm sorry for not... telling you that... I loved you sooner." He falls unconscious again.

"Idiot." I smile and hold his hand with both of mine.

~~~•~~~•~~~•~~~•~~~•~~~•~~~

I hop off the wagon and carefully lift Jean up to take to the infirmary.

"What happened to him?" Hanji asks.

"Got hurt because of me. Fix him up, will you? Don't try your funny serums on him, Hanji-san."

"Protective much?" Hanji asks. "You remind me of shorty."

I lay him down on the bed, then sit beside him. "He won't die, right?"

"No, but he's badly injured. Do you mind taking care of him for a few weeks?" Hanji says.

"No, of course I don't mind." I reply.

With the help of a few others, I was nursing Jean back to health. I visited him every day, and I fed him, made sure he was comfortable, and sometimes I sung him to sleep.

"I'm sorry again. You're injured because of me." I say. "Get some rest."

"It's okay, Mikasa. I did it because I wanted to. Can you sing me a song before you go?" He asks.

Singing isn't a big part of me, but mom used to sing to me, and it was soothing and it helped me fall asleep. She sung me one lullaby. Only one. Somehow, it makes me feel better, so I'm passing it on to Jean.

Goodnight my angel, time to close your eyes
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me
I think you know what I've been trying to say
I promised I would never leave you
Then you should always know
Wherever you may go, no matter where you are
I never will be far away

"Goodnight, angel." I whisper before I leave the room.

~~~•~~~•~~~•~~~•~~~•~~~

Today is the day Jean's going to be released from the infirmary. I quickly put on my uniform and rush to him.

"I'm sorry for not... telling you that... I loved you sooner."

To be honest, I think I might love you too.

I see him sitting down on the bed, looking out of the window. I sit next to him, his shirtless body giving me warmth. He's covered in bandages.

"Are you okay to move?" I ask.

"Yeah, just a little stiff and sore. The usual." He smiles.

I smile at the ground, kicking my legs back and forth. "Good to hear."

"How was your rib injury?" He asks.

"Wasn't bad. I healed quickly." I shrug.

"Sometimes I don't think you're human, Mikasa." He laughs lightly.

I laugh with him until stops to an awkward silence.

"What you told me on the wagon... true or not?" I look at him.

"Do you think my dying words would be lies?" He answers.

"I guess not." I mutter, then scoot closer to him and rest my head on his shoulder. I take his hand and entwine it with mine.

He blushes and accepts my gesture.

"I thought I lost you for a moment..." I say softly.

"Shhh," he cups my cheek with his hand. "I'm okay now. Don't worry."

"I..." I mutter.

"You..?"

"I love you too." I say, then cover my face with my hands.

I peek through my fingers, and he has a big grin on his face.

3rd person POV:

Meanwhile, Hanji eavesdrops on their conversation, then turns around and celebrates.

Kind of like this :)

A/N: I wanna communicate with y'all 🥺 add my discord- c.#7420

Song Credits: Lullabye by Billy Joel