One

A/N: Okay, hi! This is basically a human AU that starts with Sophie after receiving her special matchmaking bracelet. These bracelets are a way to help find true love. (It's based on matchmaking, but you'll learn more about it all sooner.) 

Sophie fiddled with the golden bracelet on her wrist, sick to the stomach as she waited for the bus at the station. So many people surrounded her. Some alone, others chirping about through the bustle. She stood there alone, waiting for hers to get to her college. The bracelet on her wrist was supposed to attract you to your 'true love'. Sophie still wasn't a hundred percent sure about what that meant, but she did know that she didn't want to fall in love. Love always seemed so complicated. 

Both in real life and in movies.

Yesterday, Grady and Edaline had given it to her as a birthday gift, deciding she was old enough to get one of her own. All of her friends already had their bracelets— Biana had her pink one, Linh her pastel ocean-blue one, Keefe his ice blue one, and on and on. Now finally, she had her gold one. She was glad her adoptive parents had given her a simple one. Not flashy. Not crazy. But just simple.

It was still a huge change when you thought of it. Love. A partner. Forever. For all of eternity.

And that seemed like a long time.

The bus came to a stop in front of her, and she hurried to a seat after paying. 

Sophie wasn't the best person at socializing, but she tried. Even if chose a seat far away from everyone. A few seconds later, her phone chimed loudly, and her face reddened when a few people shot her some nasty looks. It was as if they had never heard a phone ring on a bus before.

 Sophie's college roommate was Biana Vacker. Pretty. Preppy. Sweet, bust sassy. She was a nice girl when you weren't her canvas to paint on. Her other friends Linh Song and Marella Redek were roommates just across the hallway from them in the girl's dorms. Fitz and Keefe were in a dorm together, which was no surprise to anyone. What was a surprise was that Dex and Tam were in a dorm together, and she kept wondering how they'd do together as roommates.

 U almost there?  Biana had texted. 

Yeah. Just got on the bus Bi,  :) She added a smiley face, hoping Biana knew she was okay. Biana could sometimes be a worrywart over these kinds of things. 

Sophie stuck her earbuds in and closed her eyes, watching as buildings and trees whizzed by in a blur. She was excited about a few things, but it didn't erase the pit of nausea in her stomach. She was going to have fun! Now, she just had to tell herself it about a million times until she believed it. 

She got off the bus and murmured a quick thanks to the driver as her feet hit the pavement. The college had an expansive campus, the girl's and boy's dorms each located on one side. Sophie smiled meekly at other students as she made her way to her dorm.

She strolled into the girl's dorm building and paused at her door, not ready to swipe in her card yet. A thumping sound was coming from inside the dorm, leaving her standing outside with a puzzled expression. It sounded like someone was banging a chair against the walls. And she wasn't sure if she heard music or something other.

She winced as she swiped her key card and walked inside, her ears ready to fly off her head as bright lights and balloons greeted her. The aroma of chips and cake filled her nose as she tentatively walked inside, unsure if she wanted to intrude. She breathed out a sigh of relief when she saw that her side of the room was clean, and everything was just as she had left it.

"Sophie!" Biana squealed as she turned off the music and lighting effects. "You're back!"

"Um, is this a good time?" Sophie asked awkwardly. "Maybe I should come back later."

"Foster! I think I speak for everyone when I say happy belated birthday!" Keefe exclaimed cheekily from the couch. Fitz offered a wave from beside him as the two boys watched tv. 

"You got your bracelet!" Marella gushed as she rushed over and examined her wrist excitedly. Her eyes glinted, her blonde hair was neatly braided, and she looked happy. Marella had been in a relationship not too long ago, and their breakup had crushed her. But after some time, she seemed to have gotten better.

"It's beautiful," Linh complimented softly as she busied herself by organizing the books on their bookshelf.

"Thanks, Linh. You don't have to clean all of this up," Sophie said as she went over and placed her bag on her bed.

"It's fine," She shrugged with a smile, her silvery blue eyes genuine. "I don't mind."

Linh was too kind for her own good. Sophie would hate to see anyone break her fragile heart. Only love would do that, of course.

"I'm going to be a bit busy today. No time to hang out, sorry," Sophie apologized sheepishly as she unpacked a few of her things.

Biana raised her eyebrows and planted her hands on her hips.

"What? No one told me there was going to be a big party," She mumbled innocently as she flopped onto her bed.

"It's your party!" Linh exclaimed with a laugh that could make flowers bloom. Even Tam, in the corner of the room, showed a bit of a smile.

"It's okay to take a break sometimes, Sophie," Dex's dimples showed.

Her cheeks burned once again. "I don't want a party guys. I just..." Sophie avoided their worried looks. She usually didn't decline one of their parties. "I think I'm just tired." Sophie grabbed her bag as she ducked her head down and hurried out of the dorm, hoping she didn't hurt anyone's feelings. 

She hurried out and into the garden area and plopped down on a bench beside a tree, hoping it concealed her from anyone's sight. Sophie closed her eyes and steadied her breathing. Things just felt weird. Sophie didn't know what had gotten into her head.

"Foster shark doo doo doo doo doo doo." 

Her eyes jolted open, and she practically popped out of her seat as she saw Keefe sitting right next to her, his face centimetres apart from hers. "Keefe! You're going to give me a heart attack someday!" She gasped, putting a hand on her chest. "You're going to be the end of me!" She scolded. Sophie hadn't heard him follow her out here.

"I think you mean that Keefe will be your hero in shining armor!" He cried out dramatically, his arms in the air.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "And I'll help you chop off Lord Hunkyhair's hair because I'll be that kind of hero who will save the people from your endless pranks."

"Nooo!" Keefe shook his head frantically. "Life is too short to live with boring hair!"

"Life is too short not to cut it, so let me do the honours! Your hair is poofy and a big mess. It's just so hairy."

His jaw dropped. "Well then. What isn't messy? Also," Keefe cleared his throat. "My hair isn't messy. It's just erupting with awesomeness. And besides, you never do anything with your hair! You wear it straight, and it's just so floppy." He flicked a finger at her hair. 

Sophie shrugged. "I'm not a model. I'm just here to get things done. And I have things to do. Much better things to do than argue with you, Keefe Sencen." She stuck out her tongue. 

"Meh. I guess. But arguing with me is pretty fun," Keefe smirked as he got up and started to stroll away. "Catch you on the flip side Foster! And don't worry— we'll host you another party," He winked. 

Sophie rolled her eyes as she hurried off. Keefe Sencen was just that kind of boy. That boy with the hair.