Seven

They made it back to the theatre safely, and Keefe threw the bike back behind, where he had supposedly found it. 

"Is that your bike?" She asked him.

"I never tell anyone my secrets," Keefe winked and tousled his blond hair.

"Shoot," Sophie muttered, realization kicking in. 

"What's wrong?" He asked. 

"We rode here in the Vacker's limo Keefe."

Keefe smirked, striking a pose. "I know, right? They're so posh and fancy." 

"I didn't mean that!" She moaned. "How will we get back on campus?" Sophie pulled her jacket tighter around herself, surprised that Keefe was just in a sweater.

"We'll walk. Simple." He tapped his head. "It's all in the noggin Foster. It's all stuffed in there, no matter how small the brain is."

"It's so dark out," Sophie shuddered. "How about we call one of our friends? How did I not think of that?!" She exclaimed as she dug out her phone and wiggled it in Keefe's face.

"Um, We shouldn't disturb them!" Keefe yelped and snatched the phone from her hand. "They need their... beauty sleep! You know how cranky Biana can get."

"Let's call Linh or someone. I'm sure they won't mind."

"Please," Keefe mumbled quietly as he looked away. "Can we walk?" He wiped his eyes. "Sorry."

"Keefe, don't be embarrassed about crying," Sophie said softly as she placed a hand on his shoulder. "We all do it. It's alright," She breathed. "We can walk home if you'd like." 

He nodded, and they strolled down the sidewalks under the glistening stars as the revving engine of cars rang in their ears. The rain had started to fall, sending drops trickling down their faces.

She didn't bother asking him anything. But they walked down the sidewalk as friends. 

"Er," Sophie mumbled as they reached the girl's dorms. "Bye, Keefe." She gave a little wave as Keefe forced a small smile. 

"See you, Foster." He gave her a salute, and he stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked away. 

"We can talk if you need to," She whispered awkwardly, unsure if he heard her. But when he looked back at her, his ice-blue eyes held a speckle of happiness.

The next day, Sophie groaned and pulled her covers over her head. 

"Get up, Sophie!" Biana scolded. "Your classes start soon!"

"I don't want to," She said as she curled up. 

"Okay, something is wrong. What happened to the nerdy guru Sophie? The one who daydreams about school and math every minute of her life?"

Sophie sniffled and groaned. "I think I'm sick. Keefe and I walked home in the rain last night." 

"Mm. Well, I'll call you in sick." 

Sophie sat up and saw Biana dressed in a cute white t-shirt and black sweatpants, her hair in an intricate weave dotted with gems. She had a handbag and her phone in hand. "Rest," She mouthed and walked out into the hallway.

Sophie put a hand to her forehead and winced when she felt it was burning hot. She stumbled out of bed and splashed some cold water onto her face. Sophie made a bit of soup and went back to bed.