Eleven

"It's Fitz Vacker!" One of the girls gushed.

One of the other girls frowned. "Who is that nobody he's with?"

"Ladies," Fitz cleared his throat loudly, a grim expression set upon his face. "Do you mind not taking photos? We're a bit busy if you haven't noticed." His mouth twisted into a deeper frown when he noticed Sophie's expression.

"Oh, right!" One girl squeaked. "Of course! Let's move!"

They all bustled away, and Sophie bit her lip and looked down at the table.

"Sorry," Fitz said sheepishly.

"No, it's okay. So, what's up?" Sophie asked, averting her gaze towards the menus, paintings, and plants they had decorated with.

Fitz nodded as a waiter handed them a few doughnuts he had ordered earlier. "I wanted to ask you a question." He reached up to run a hand through his dark hair but caught himself.

"Maybe you'd like to come on a date with me sometime? A real one, I mean." His cheeks turned a bit red, and Sophie was sure she looked like a tomato head.

"I would love to," Sophie said, hoping she didn't sound too cheesy. "I mean if you want me to. If not, that's okay," She mumbled.

"Great," He beamed, and his posture seemed to relax.

She picked up a Boston cream doughnut and bit into it, leaving her stomach churning. Something didn't feel right. Sophie turned her head and winced when she saw some more girls goggling at Fitz. 

"How do the bracelets work again?" She asked. "I kind of misplaced mine." If she was going to get her bracelet back, she had to have a plan.

Fitz raised his eyebrows as if he were repeating: kind of?

"I mean, there are signs that show it. No one explains these things to others since it's known to be a personal thing."

"Huh," Sophie said, placing her doughnut down.

"Some people say that the people who make the bracelets are magic," Fitz said eerily. "But no one knows. I mean, you can go meet up with the makers at the bracelet store, but even they don't know it all."

"That's... interesting," was all she had to say.

"Well then," Fitz tore a hand through his hair. "Thanksgiving is in two days, so how does tomorrow evening sound?"

"It's good with me," Sophie nodded as she began to pick at her doughnut. She refrained from tugging on her eyelashes. She had been doing it a lot less recently, but she tried not to pull on them every minute.

"I'd better run," They said in unison.

"Keep the doughnuts," Fitz offered as he got up and tucked in his chair.

A waiter neatly and carefully helped Sophie place the doughnuts into a box, and she took the bag and waved to Fitz as he left. She withered inside a little as she left the cafe and roamed the now empty streets. Was Fitz her true match? Sophie liked him. And he seemed to like her. But where were the signs? The hints?

When Sophie got back to the dorm, she left the doughnuts on the counter and curled up on her bed with Iggy. She petted him, listening to his quiet snores. Something still wasn't right.

"Sophie?" Biana's voice rang out through the silence. She entered the dorm, leaving a glowing light through the crack of the door. Her voice was worried and confused.

"Yeah, I'm here." Sophie hopped up and rushed over. "Is something wrong?"

"It's— It's Keefe. No one can find him."

"Wouldn't he be out there doing Keefe-like stuff?" Sophie asked, hating her voice for shaking.

"He could be but, the last person who saw him was-"

"Me," She cut in. "I had an allergic reaction, and then..." Sophie put a hand over her mouth. "He must have come back to check on me, but I wasn't there."

"I'm betting he saw this," Biana said as she whipped out her phone and showed her a picture of Sophie and Fitz, their faces inches apart as they stared deeply into each other's eyes.

That wasn't what it looked like! Or was it?

"No, no, no, no," Sophie mumbled to herself. She paced and let out a long moan. "Fitz asked to meet me at the cafe! These girls took pictures. They must have posted them! We were hanging out, nothing more," She explained to Biana. "Now what?"

"We're going to find him," Biana promised sternly. "Right now, we have an appointment with the makers."

"Okay, why am I driving you guys?" Dex complained, his hands tightly gripping the wheel.

"Because," Biana rolled her eyes. "You're Sophie's best friend. Plus, if Fitz, Marella, or Tam knew, they'd tease Sophie mercilessly. Or they wouldn't care— You get the point! Now step on the gas!"

He muttered something under his breath but mercifully obeyed. Nobody wanted to face the wrath of an angry Biana. Especially a determined one.

"Why not Linh?" Dex questioned as he took a sharp turn.

"She's busy volunteering," Biana said as if it were all so simple.

"Either way, thank you, Dex," Sophie chimed in, not wanting them to fight.

"It's no problem," Dex promised, waving it off.

"And yet just a few seconds ago, you were complaining," Biana crossed her arms.

"Yeah, Yeah. We're here now. Call me if you need a ride!" Dex ushered two girls out. "Or not!"

The store wasn't what Sophie expected. It was a bit vintage with a deep blue outside paired with golden accents and a large, golden sign that read: MatchMaker's Bracelets in bold lettering.

"Odd name," Sophie pointed out as they went inside.

"Hello?" Biana called in, her voice echoing.

"Yes?" A gruff voice responded. "I'm at the back counter."

Shelves were lined with chains and materials, some bracelets for views, since they customized every bracelet, especially for the owner.

"Hello, sir," Biana said as she greeted the old man. He was bloated and had a pin that read: Mr. Forkle.

Sophie knew she had seen him in the past, but she thought he was a bit creepy.

"You have trackers in the bracelets, correct?" Biana questioned.

"Of course," He grunted. "You never know what'll happen to one."

"Can you track down the bracelet of Sophie Elizabeth Foster?" She leaned up against the counter, leaving Sophie awkwardly standing beside her.

Sophie's brow furrowed, not too sure about her plan.

"Aha!" Biana smirked happily as she pointed to the screen the man gave her. "Keefe has your bracelet. No, he didn't steal it, but I'm sure you'll realize everything soon enough, Sophie. Time to track down that boy! He's headed west, and he's gotten pretty far. It could take us a day or so to catch up to him if he keeps driving. Thanks, Mr. Forkle, sir. Mind if we snatch this?"

Mr. Forkle shrugged, not caring if they took it. Sophie doubted he'd care if they'd robbed the whole store. Not like anyone did that and robbed a bracelet store.

"Since Keefe isn't answering his phone, we can use this whatchamacallit and follow him," Biana said proudly. She brushed some imaginary dust off her shoulder. "Woo-hoo! Biana is the queen!" She sang as they exited the store. "But, this time, we don't just need a ride. We need something sneaky. Sorry Dex, but I know just who to call..."