CHAPTER 3

Dead Man's Party
_________________

We all walk into the Institute, feeling a bit bummed and stressed out about what had happened earlier.

On the ride over here, though, all we talked about are Shadowhunters and mundanes.

Honestly, this is probably the most weirdest and uncomfortable conversation I've ever had about Shadowhunters and mundanes.

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than what you call mundanes?" Clarice asked. I groan in agitation. We told her the answer to this, like, a million times.

"Because we protect humans," Izzy explains to her. Clarice just sighs and turns to us.

"Your right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock," Clarice says with clear sarcasm lacing her voice.

I step towards her, "Hey! Simon can handle himself, he's a big boy. He doesn't need a babysitter to be at his side at every second. Plus, Izzy did what she could. Stop blaming us because we couldn't protect Simon. We did our best. Why don't you go out there with just a blade and see how well you do?" Clarice shuts her mouth and stays silent. "Yeah, that's what I thought."

"Okay, that's enough, Beatrice," Alec tell me as he puts his hand on my shoulder. "Anyways, there is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." I smirked and fist bumped him.

"Alec, not now. You too, Beatrice," Izzy says as she looks at us with her mom look she always does.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it," Jace explains. I hum in agreement.

Clarice then just explodes, not literally though. "But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life, except, 'Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone.' What am I supposed to do now?"

Alec chimes in, "We have to report this to the Clave." He then starts to walk away as we follow him. "They have to know what we've learned about Valentine."

"What, that he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?" Clarice tell Alec. I rolled my eyes.

"It's all connected. The vamps want the Cup," I said.

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters." Clarice leans against the wall.

Alex sighs, "Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself. Also, it doesn't just make new Shadowhunters, it can also control demons."

"They'll propose a trade. Simon for the cup," Jace told her.

Clarice sighs and plays with her hair. "So, the vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love."

"Ugh, I'm out. If y'all are gonna talk about love and the Cup and shit like that, don't do it with me near you. I'll be in my room," I told them as I started to walk away, but then I hear Clarice.

"Where is he, anyway?  Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?" Before anyone could speak, I turned around to face them.

"They're at the Hotel DuMort down in Gansevoort Street." I walked towards them as they spoke.

"Though you left?" Jace told me. I scoffed.

"That was before I heard you guys wanted to go to Hotel DuMort," I explained.

"And we came back here? Why? We have to go back there. Let's go, now!" Clarice started to walk out the Institute until Alec interrupted her.

"We need a Clave resolution for that."