Breaking Point

Day 3 of trying to write this

It's been a while since I updated so I'll start this off with the paragraph from the last oneshot in case you forgot what happened

forlorn - pitifully sad and abandoned or lonely

Nightmare faltered, reaching out for the cape Dream had thrust in his face. Dream held his breath and stayed completely still, eyeing his brother with apprehension. His eyes widened as a stray, cyan tear built up in Nightmare's malformed eye and mixed in with the black gunk.

"Cape." Nightmare whispered, lightly grazing the lilac material with his gooey, tainted hand.

Blue let out a long, relieved sigh and turned to face Error.

"I'm so glad he remembers what a cape is." 

"You never fail to amaze me." Error mumbled, rolling his eyes at Blue's silly comment. "I can't wait to never see you again."

Dream disregarded the two now bickering skeletons, staring wide eyed and hopeful at his conflicted brother. It seems as if the corrupted guardian was battling with himself- half of him wants to reach out and take the cape while the other half wants to rip it to shreds along with his foolish brother and his friends.

'Just do it already.' 

The voice had never left him. Nightmare could still hear it loud and clear in his head, encouraging him to travel further down this dark and twisted path he'd chosen. He thought it would have left him alone after consuming the dark apples- after becoming it.

He's confused. He doesn't understand why he can't escape it. He doesn't understand all of these negative emotions- he thought he'd only be filled with rage and a desire to destroy everything that hurt him, so why does he feel guilty? He swallowed thickly, staring into his brother's saddened, forlorn eyes. So full of hope yet somehow looking so hopeless at the same time. It left a sour taste in the corrupted guardian's mouth.

"Please, you don't have to do this." Dream stammered, holding his other trembling hand out for Nightmare to take. "I can save you- we can save you. We're your friends, you still believe that right?"

'What are you waiting for- this is the perfect chance!' The voice barked, causing an aching pain in Nightmare's skull. The corrupted guardian seethed and he suddenly snapped out of his trance. He glared fiercely at his brother and with one swift swipe of a tentacle tore the lilac cape and smothered it in the same black gunk that coated him. The memory of the happy ending flashed before him momentarily. He knew it was now unreachable. He didn't care anymore. He closed his cyan eye, ignoring the strangled sob that his brother let out. 

"Stop trying to bring me back, Dream." Nightmare growled. "This is the path that I walk. Not you or anyone can change that."

He reopened his now blazing eye. It was a ferocious, fiery blue that pierced through Dream like a thousand knives and shook him to the core. Everything happened in slow motion. Nightmare lurched forwards with an outstretched hand, grabbing Dream by the cape and yanking him up mere inches away from his oozing face before hurling him across the room. Dream released a choked cry of pain as he made impact with the window, causing it to shatter and rain glass shards on him. Nightmare chewed on his gooey finger and laughed manically. Blue cried out for his friend and Error winced.

"Oh, Dream- even now you're still destroying our windows." 

"Now you've crossed the line, Nightmare." Error glowered, clenching his fists and baring his teeth. The 'ERROR' signs around him flickered and spasmed as if they too were disturbed. 

Blueberry's eye-lights vanished as he stared at his friend's disheveled, injured form. This has gone too far. 

Nightmare's eyelid drooped and he lazily grinned, shifting his gaze towards the two distressed skeletons and lowering his hand away from his mouth. Seeing them so riled up was hilarious- do they really think they can stop him? The idea was laughable.