Chapter 5

Liora was walking to the library to spend her lunch hour reading in her usual spot when suddenly she was bowled over by a tornado. A very friendly fourteen-year-old tornado who was talking a mile a minute. Christina's face was lit up with excitement. "Liora! I'm so glad I found you! Are you going to lunch? Do you want to sit with me outside? I know freshmen aren't really supposed to sit outside but I'm friends with some of the upperclassmen and they invited me. It's Jason's lunch hour as well so he might join us. He's usually sitting with some of his teammates planning their match strategies but if he sees you, he might join us."

Liora blushed to the roots of her hair. What did Christina mean by that? Sure, Jason was friendly with her now but they didn't hang out. Liora was used to not being noticed. Suddenly she felt like she was being thrust into the center of attention. Jason was quite popular and she was certain he could have his pick of any girl at school. There was no reason why he would want to spend time with Liora and certainly no reason why he would change his usual spot at lunch in order to sit next to her. Liora knew that if he did come sit next to her, it would definitely attract attention. She silently prayed it wouldn't happen. Then, just as quickly, she silently prayed it would. Liora felt confused and unsure. She didn't want to get her hopes up. Being alone was better than being rejected. And as nice as Jason was, Liora was sure he would end up rejecting her. No one would want to date her. The most she could expect was that he would continue being friendly with her and asking her about Ranga.  

Christina didn't seem to notice Liora's confusion or the fact that she was blushing. Liora realized to her discomfort that she was being steered away from the library to the courtyard where seniors and juniors were gathered at picnic benches. Christina opened the door and Liora felt that she had no choice but to go outside. There were a handful of girls and guys sitting at a picnic bench and they all turned and waved at Christina. Liora recognized a few of the juniors from some of her classes. There were a couple seniors that she recognized as well, including one of the cheerleaders. Christina waved back and motioned for Liora to come. They sat down at the end of the long picnic bench. Some of the other kids smiled at Liora and she hesitantly smiled back.

Christina immediately began making introductions. The other kids were friendly and some of them mentioned that they were also in class with Liora. She was making small talk with two of the girls sitting across from her when she heard a voice directly behind her.

"Is this seat taken?" It was Jason's voice. He then proceeded to sit next to her on the end of the bench. There wasn't much room and he squeezed in very close. Liora willed herself not to blush and turned to say hello. Jason smiled at her. "Hey, Liora. How's it going?" One of Jason's teammates had taken a seat across from them and Jason introduced him. Liora barely had a moment to say hello before she heard Christina's voice next to her. 

"Jason, I'm taking your place at church. I'm going to help Liora with Ranga from now on." She grinned cheekily at her brother. "I mean, I'm not exactly helping but being there is so much fun." She turned to Liora. "Liora, you should come over for dinner sometime. Our parents would love to meet you. And you should go to one of Jason's tennis matches sometime. Do you play? We could teach you. I'm not the best player, not like Jason, but I'm okay." Liora tried to process the dizzying stream of words coming out of Christina's mouth and figure out a way to respond as Christina bit into her sandwich. 

Jason smiled at his sister and shook his head. He looked at Liora and grinned. "Be careful. My sister will have your entire social schedule planned out from now until Christmas." He then leaned over and spoke to his sister. "And I'm not giving up going to church with Liora and Ranga. You can't have my spot. I didn't introduce you to my friend so you could steal her. And you have soccer practice, remember? But we'll figure out a day for Liora to come over for dinner. If she doesn't get sick of us before then." He winked at Liora.