Chapter 12

Liora sat between Ranga and Jason. Christina and Katelynne were sitting next to each other, both talking a mile a minute. Liora wasn't aware they knew each other but it made sense. Katelynne was in eighth grade so they had gone to school with each other last year. Katelynne was also social and outgoing, not the wallflower Liora was. She had obviously clicked with Christina and Liora felt a slight twinge of jealousy. Would Christina now prefer hanging out with Liora's younger sister? Katelynne was more fun than Liora was. Just then Jason glanced over and smiled at Liora and Liora forgot about her worries. It was nice being here with everyone she cared about. She glanced around the table and was happy to see that everyone was getting along. 

Jason and Liora's moms were having a three-way conversation with Kartika. The women were laughing and talking. Jason's Dad was asking Liora's brother Josh all about school and sports. Josh wasn't as quiet as Liora but he was definitely an introvert. He was just about to turn 12 and was in the sixth grade so he was too young to know either Christina or Jason. He seemed to be enjoying talking to Mr. C. Josh was definitely an athlete and a sports addict and the two of them appeared to be discussing football and making predictions for the Super Bowl. Liora's Dad and Rizky were talking away. Liora didn't have much of a chance to look around though. Ranga was trying to occupy all of her attention. He was chattering away to both her and Jason, telling them all about his week at school and his excitement over the upcoming fall festival. It was now October so the fall festival was coming closer. Liora was still a little nervous about going but she was mostly looking forward to it. 

The table was literally groaning with food. Platters of bakmi (noodles), Nasi Goreng (fried rice) and Ayam Penyet (pressed chicken) filled the table. There was also a dish of coconut chicken and a plate filled with Chicken Satay (chicken on skewers with peanut sauce), as well as several dishes with both raw and cooked vegetables. Kartika poured glasses of coconut water and ginger tea. They were all laughing and talking when Mr. C cleared his throat and said, "Let's say grace." Everyone bowed their heads while Mr. C thanked God for the food and the friends around the table. Once the final Amen was said, the eating commenced.

The food was delicious. Liora had never tasted such a wide range of flavors. There was a brief lull in the conversation around the table as everyone started eating but soon conversations were in full swing. Ranga was extremely excited about the fall festival and about the Halloween party that would be happening at his school. He was going to dress up as a tiger and he talked nonstop about it. This was his first time experiencing Halloween and he was looking forward to it. He mainly seemed to be excited about the prospect of getting candy. 

"Liora! I can't wait for the Halloween party at school. We are going to have a parade and everyone will be dressed up. My friend Jackson said he was going to be a superhero but I'm going to be a tiger. Mama is making my costume. I'm going to have a long tail and pointed ears and we are going to paint stripes on my face. And I'm going to growl at everyone when I walk by. Like this, rawwwrrr!" Ranga made his best tiger impression. "And we are also having a party at night at school and we are doing something called 'trunk or treat'. People will be decorating their cars and giving out candy. I love candy! Are you going to be dressing up too, Liora? If you don't have a party to go to, you could probably come to the one at my school. Do you like candy? Did you dress up when you were young? I can't wait. Oh! And the fall festival! I can't wait for the fall festival. I want to go on the hayride! I've never done a hayride. Have you? Mama said we will be sitting on hay. We had horses that pulled carts in Indonesia but I've never sat on hay. I have sat on a cart pulled by a water buffalo before. Are there water buffalo here? And Conner said we are bobbing for apples. I like apples but he said you get all wet. I don't want to get wet. It will be cold. Are you coming to the fall festival?" 

Ranga paused a moment to shovel down some food. He had barely swallowed before he started again, this time on a new topic. "Do you like the food? This is the food we had back home. Do you like coconut? I love coconut. The dessert has coconut too and pandang. Have you ever had pandang leaves? Or Jackfruit? I'm glad we don't have Durian fruit here. It's stinky." Ranga wrinkled his nose. "So, are you coming to the fall festival? Will you sit next to me on the hayride? I think it will be fun but I'm a little scared. Will you?" Ranga looked at Liora expectantly.