Chapter 13

Jason texted Liora at noon. Liora had already told her mom that she would be going to the beach with Jason. Her mom smiled sweetly at her. "You really like Jason, don't you, honey? He seems like a really nice boy. I hope he knows how precious you are." "Thanks, Mom. I think he does," mumbled Liora, feeling embarrassed. She wasn't expecting that her mom would say that. There hadn't ever been a boy in Liora's life. She wasn't dating Jason but she was happy that her mom approved of him. 

Katelynne smiled broadly when Liora told her that she was meeting Jason at the beach. "See, I told you," she responded, in a tone that made it seem like it was patently obvious that Jason liked Liora. "Have a good time," she said and winked. Liora's face was bright red by the time she got out of the house. She hoped it would be back to normal by the time she arrived at the beach. She turned on the radio as she drove, forcing herself to think of anything but Jason. She felt butterflies in her stomach. It had been a long time since she had felt anxious over seeing Jason. Usually she felt so comfortable with him. But she was wondering what he would say.

Jason was waiting in the parking lot when she arrived. He grinned and waved when he saw her. He hopped out of his SUV, looking casual in shorts and a T-shirt. The day was warm but not anywhere close to swimming weather. Liora wore capris and a light short-sleeved shirt.  The air was warm but it was breezy and there was a hint of coolness. 

Jason came over and gave her a hug, smiling again. He took her hand. "I thought we could walk out to the rock pier where we sat the last time. Or would you be more comfortable in the sand?" he asked. "The rock pier would be fine. I like being out over the water," responded Liora. Liora slipped off her sandals once they hit the sand. She carried them in her free hand. Her other hand was firmly wrapped in Jason's. They walked hand-in-hand up the beach. 

"How was church?" asked Liora. "Oh, it was really good. You can come with us whenever you want. The invitation is always open. Just let me know," responded Jason. "Okay, I will try to come sometime. I'm not sure if I'll be able to understand what's going on but at least I can try it," answered Liora. Her nerves had settled and she was reminded of how comfortable she always felt in Jason's presence. He smiled at her. "It was really good meeting your family last night. My parents really liked them. And Christina and Katelynne are best buddies now," he laughed. "My sister really has a way of winning people over. And Katelynne seems similar to her in personality. They are both outgoing." Liora felt a pang in her heart. "Yeah, Katelynne's always been a social butterfly. She makes friends really easily. Not like me. I'm the wallflower. I'm not surprised she and Christina would become instant best friends."

Jason glanced at her. His tone became tender. "You don't have to be a social butterfly, Liora. Just be yourself. It may be a little harder to get to know you because you aren't as outgoing. But you are definitely worth the extra effort. Trust me. You are a wonderful person and a wonderful friend. And Christina knows that. She likes Katelynne but she is really glad that you are her friend. She's not going to abandon you to hang out with your sister. You've had a big impact on Christina....on me, as well. I'm really glad you came into my life. It's hard to believe we haven't been friends for very long. I feel like I've known you forever. And I know that I want to keep you in my life. Christina does as well. We'll be here for you as long as you want us to be. Don't worry about that." 

Liora smiled and blinked back tears. She hadn't realized that Jason knew exactly how she was feeling. She wasn't really surprised though. He often seemed to get her in a way that no one else did, even Christina. She liked both Christina and Jason a great deal but she was closer to Jason. She just had a different level of comfort and trust with him. She trusted Christina but she could talk to Jason about anything....well, almost anything. She was still trying to hide how she felt about him. Sometimes she thought he liked her but she was too shy to bring up the subject. As comfortable as she was with him, she still wasn't sure he saw her as anything more than a friend. She didn't want to reveal that she liked him, only to get her feelings hurt.