Preparations

Chapter warnings: Mild language

Word count: 1165

-----

"Aw, shit, again?" Lucas laughed as he fell back into his seat, throwing the controller to the side. "How do you keep winning? I thought you said you didn't have an Xbox!"

"I don't!" She insisted, eyes moving from the winning screen notification for Player 2. "You just majorly suck!"

"Hey, I thought you were a fan! How are you gonna just bully me like that?" She was laughing along with him, stomach starting to ache from the convulsions.

"You're practically asking for it." She never would have imagined ganging out with Lucas before this but... he was actually kind of fun. Although not nearly as smooth as she expected, he was pretty down to Earth. As she thought about this, though, she was distracted. Over the door, a red light flickered on. As she let her laughter die out, she mentioned it offhandedly.

"Hey, uh, what does that light do?"

"Hmm?" He looked to the door where she was gesturing. "That's... oh, fuck!" He jumped up, grabbing something off of the counter.

"Wait, what? What is it?" She started to ask. Panicking, he grabbed her wrists, yanking her up out of the beanbag, and dragging her over to the table. "What the fuck! What are you-" He showed no signs of pausing as he shoved her against a table, the corner ramming into her abdomen with a sharp sting. Folding a bit, she put her elbows down on the surface to stabilize herself. At this point, she felt a blade to her throat and the angles of his body on her back. Lucas was threatening her with a knife.

"What? What's going on?" She asked, tears already starting to form at the corners of her eyes. She was launched back into reality. Lucas was not her friend. He was not here to hang out with her. He was not here to be all wonderful and amazing like she had hoped. He was part of a human trafficking ring, and he would be selling her off in a matter of days, if not hours.

"I rigged that light up to tell me when the elevator is opening. How long has it-" Just as fast as he had started to explain, the door to his room shot open, flooding it with the unsettling light of the hallway. In the frame, she could just barely make out a thin framed silhouette, blurred by tears.

"Lucas. What is she doing out of her cell?" It demanded in a sickeningly familiar tone. Hendery.

"Aww, you know," Lucas said in a voice that had to be at least five times deeper than when they were playing just moments before. "I was all lonely, and she looked so pretty." He snickered in a cliche-evil-villain type of way. Pressing the knife even further into her throat and his knee to her leg, he whispered, "Thought I'd have a little fun with her, you know?"

Hendery looked on, curious. Tears were now generously rolling down her face, and if she was lucky, her eyes were still red from all the crying earlier. Her hair was obviously a mess and she was sweating profusely. it seemed like a believable story.

"Hmm, understandable. Well, Kun wants her upstairs, we have a client. With only one option he'd better like the selection, so don't rough her up too much. Have her put on one of the stock dresses- maybe the blue one I like?" Glancing over her, he laughed. "On second thought, might be a little small for you, doll." Turning around, she heard his footsteps begin to head off without closing the door behind him.

"Chop chop! Can't keep them waiting!" His laughter faded with his presence. As soon as he was sure Hendery was gone, Lucas pulled back.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N! I just- I can't- look, this job means a lot to everyone, and it's better if I don't cause problems." Given her free space, her hands gripped her upper arms, crossing them in a position she naturally took up for safety. She didn't say anything.

"I, uh..." He continued. "Anyway, I should probably get you changed. And I think there's a brush in the bathroom." He pointed. "You should start washing up, I'll bring in the clothes." She stood still for a moment, but finally moved towards the bathroom. Shutting the door behind her, she looked around. Aside from the hygiene supplies strewn around, it was relatively clean. The shower had male shampoo and conditioner in it, but she supposed it would have to do. Now all she had to find was a towel...

Searching under the cabinets she was both pleasantly and creepily surprised. There was indeed a large stack of clean towels and washcloths, along with what had to be at least ten brands of women's shampoos, soaps, and shaving creams. There were unopened packs of razors, toothbrushes, floss, and feminine products. Well, she supposed this would be more than adequate to take a shower with.

Warming up the water, she undressed and stepped in, letting it flow over her body. She could internally admit that it was nice to feel clean, but it was difficult to relax given the situation. Maybe she could guilt trip Lucas into letting her escape? He didn't seem to have any problem scaring her before... she didn't know him well enough to judge how well it would work. Knock him out? He was so big, though. Even if she managed, or convinced him, would she be able to make it out? They'd catch her in no time... Not to mention that she didn't even know where she was.

Facing the shower head, she opened her mouth, letting the water flow down her throat. It was kind of gross, drinking warm water, but she was thirsty enough that she didn't care. She could only hope that it was clean. Suddenly, the door opened, breaking her from her thoughts. Her instinct was to cover her body, even though there was a curtain between her and the transgressor. She heard heavy footsteps on the tile, and the rustling of clothing.

"I brought you clothes- there's a lot of different sizes, so uh, I brought you a bunch to try on. If you can fit in the blue dress, I would wear it. I know you're gonna want to be all defiant, but... it's not worth it. Getting Hendery annoyed. You're much better off on his good side." She said nothing in return, still just washing herself.

"I'll... leave you alone. Just be done soon. There's a hairdryer in the left drawer, makeup in the right. You should use them." And with that, he left. Turning off the water, she double-checked to make sure he was really gone, peeking out from behind the curtain. She didn't care how much she had idolized him in the past, she was not about to show him shit. Facing herself in the mirror, she took a deep breath.