Gun to a Knife Fight

Chapter warnings: Mild language

Word count: 1026

-----

"You're never gonna be as good with knives as me, that's just a fact, so I don't know why we're bothering." Hendery grumbled. "That being said, you need to learn close combat, throwing, and how to use longer weapons, then maybe utility." They were now in a different section of the building, although still the training area. There were fewer targets, and more empty space as well as drawers.

"I... okay."

"Also, don't talk unless you have to. Your voice is grating."

"Okay." Hendery put a hand to his face.

"What did I just say? Stupid bitch." Shaking his head, he pulled out a bunch of knives from a drawer. Handing her a black one, no longer than five inches, he said, "Okay, fight me."

"...Excuse me?"

"You heard me, we're gonna fight. If you win, training over! If you lose- which you will- I'll figure out what you're shit at and we can fix it."

"That doesn't sound like a-" Before she could even finish her sentence, he was in her face, his own knife to her throat. Clicking his tongue, he shook his head.

"Disappointing. I was expecting you to at least try. I'll give you one more shot." She was shaken by his speed. The entire time she had been observing him, he seemed fairly lazy, always moving slowly, or at the very least nonchalantly. It was evidently an act, something he could switch on and off. Backing up, he deliberately slowed his moves, taking up a defensive stance with the knife on his front hand. She held hers out in front of her as best as she could think of, trying to keep from getting stabbed.

With Hendery's first rush, she blocked her knife with his. What she didn't realize what that he was basically hitting her knife on purpose to get her of guard. It was honestly an unnecessary move, as she was useless with the blade and would have been off her guard anyway. While she took a split second to recover her thoughts and plan her next move, she already felt a sharp sting on her arm. Looking down, there was a razor thin cut on below her shoulder. Staring at it, eyes wide, she felt the same sting on her left cheek. Finally, she held her hands up, dropping the knife.

"Stop it!"

Hendery paused, becoming visible to her again. She was still confused on how he was able to move so fast. He seemed disappointed, sheathing the knife into his waistband in the blink of an eye.

"Already?" You're no fun." Looking to the clock on the wall, his eyes lit up. "Oh! Sorry, I would actually, y'know, train you, but it's lunch time!" Lunch time? They had a specific time? As far as she had seen, Ten just brought her in and out whenever he felt like it. Then again, she didn't know what to believe from him anymore. As she thought about this, she saw Henry leaving the room, having to sprint a few steps to keep up with him. He certainly wasn't the gentlemanly type, as he refused to hold the doors or even explain where they were going.

When they arrived at the kitchen, surprisingly everyone was present. Most of the men were sitting around the counter, aside from Kun, who was cooking. This confused her- as the leader, why was he the one working? Still, she didn't dare to ask any questions. While there had been a quiet buzz of chatter before, now everyone was silent, looking at her. Hendery had a questioning look on his face, before turning to see that she was behind him.

"Agh, really? You couldn't have just gone to your room or something?" ...Had he really not realized she was following him? Even with her heavy steps? Maybe he wasn't as talented as she thought- at least in some regards.

"Don't be rude, Hendery, she needs to eat, too." Kun reprimanded him, pulling a skillet off the stove.

"What happened to your face?" Ten asked, noticing the cut. Not wanting to look at him, she just muttered,

"Nothing." And sat down as far away from both him and Hendery as she could. This thankfully placed her next to WinWin. She hadn't really had a chance to get to know him at all, but he did advocate for her not to be sold, which she appreciated no matter the reasons. The conversation had obviously shifted, meaning they may not have wanted to talk in front of her. This made things incredibly awkward, but she wasn't really in a position to point this out.

Kun plated everyone's food, setting it down and offering to get her something to drink. Still feeling a bit out of place, she politely requested water, to which he brought her a glass full. The cooking actually looked really good, and upon tasting it, she found that it was more than impressive. As the leader sat down, though, things were going to get more tense than they already were.

"Hendery, don't ever do that again." Everyone looked up, most mid-chew.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He said, trying to suppress his ever-present creepy smile.

"The gash on her face, that was you. And she's been holding stuff strangely- with all due respect, I'm going to ask WinWin to lift up your sleeve." Before she could object, the man did as he was told, revealing the other cut as well. "That's what I thought." He glared at the boy. "I won't have you damaging our property. You forget that if this doesn't work out, we still have to profit off of this little interaction. In addition, if it does, she'll be part of the group, and I refuse to have you throwing temper-tantrums constantly. Do I make myself clear?"

Hendery looked as though he wanted to kill everyone in the room, but kept his tone smooth and concentrated.

"Crystal." With that, he got up, heading back towards to door. "I'll be in the throwing range. Send Y/N down when she's ready to stop being a little bitch." Then, he left.