Ch 10

"Be safe please." Y/n gripped Mirio's forearm just before he walked out the dormitory doors. He looked down at her, at the worried look on her face.

"Of course! We'll come back!" Mirio hoped the smile on his face gave her at least a little bit of reassurance.

"Yeah! We'll be back y/n!" Nejire poked her cheek.
"It's just a quick mission!" Nejire's hands made various motions as she spoke.
Y/n nodded. Even if she wasn't the least bit reassured she wanted them to feel better believing the lie that she was.

"Hey, we'll be fine!" Mirio whispered to her, that usual bright smile of his adorned on his face as he held her palms in his.

"Right." Y/n nodded confidently.
'I should be reassuring them, not the other way around.' Y/n looked up at Mirio's soft, blue eyes.
"Do good. I know you will." Mixing feelings of dread, fear, swirling in with the fluttering ones of forced positivity and hope.

"Mhm." Mirio nodded as his hand came up to form a thumbs-up.

Y/n rushed back to her dorm room, socks slipping on the wood floors as she closed her door and climbed onto the bed. The click of a small, handheld radio caused a lulling static to sound throughout the quiet room. Various hero training throughout her years at UA had taught her the many police codes.
Occasionally a soft beep and then the fuzzy voice of an officer would come through. These weren't the ones she was looking for.
Y/n was listening patiently for anything related to the case that the Big Three were a part of.
Her arms wrapped slowly around her knees, pulled up to her chest as she gazed out the window with a glazed look in her eye, waiting.

It had been 31 minutes exactly. Y/n had been counting, though she had begun to calm down slightly as time passed.
'That's right. Everything is fine. I was worrying for nothing.'
And just as y/n was about to let out a breath of relief, a muffled voice came through.

"Mission success." Y/n's eyes lit up as her heart fluttered in excitement.
'They did it!' She stood up and cupped the small radio.
"Couple injured, were gonna need a few ambulances." Y/n froze as she stared down at the device in her now clammy hands.

The static of the radio cut out harshly as it fell to the ground, bits of plastic chipping and flying off. Y/n huffed as she flung her door open and skidded down the hall. She pulled her shoes on quickly as she rushed out of the dormitory doors, a waft of the warming morning air blowing her hair in her face. Y/n brushed it out of the way as she ran as fast as she could down the sidewalks. She knew the area where Mirio's mission was. She'd discovered leaks of it through some deep reading.

Soon enough y/n didn't have to search for where the site was. The sound of sirens blaring led her to it. She was breathing heavily as her run slowed to a walk.
"Ma'am, i'm sorry, I can't allow you to come any further." A policeman touched her shoulder.

"Move." Y/n muttered sharply as she shoved past him when she saw a glimpse of Mirio's blonde hair. He was being carried on a stretcher.
"Mirio!" Y/n called desperately as she ran to his side, slowing her pace once again to walk beside the stretcher.

"Hey..." he looked up at her deliriously, a faint, tired, smile still present on his face. He looked horrible. Several cuts and bruises littered his arms.

"Oh god...!" Y/n cupped her mouth as she saw the wound on his side.
She felt someone pull her backwards.
"Let me go!" Y/n wriggled.

"It's ok! It's just me!" Nejire's voice sounded from behind her.

"You're ok!" Y/n whipped around quickly as she hugged Nejire tightly.

"Yep! Just like I promised!" Nejire smiled and patted her head.

"But Mirio..." y/n looked back as he was loaded into the ambulance.

"Mirio will be ok. He's strong and he's got you rooting for him." Nejire reassured her.

"Where's Tamaki?" Y/n looked around for the boy.

"He was taken to the hospital already." Nejire explained.
"Y/n... why don't you go home, ok?" Nejire looked to her worriedly.
"You can go visit them tomorrow... alright?" Her hand came to rest on y/n's shoulder.
Y/n's gaze was on the concrete, her eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"Ok..." y/n looked up eventually.

"Ok." Nejire smiled as she let out a sigh of relief.
"I'll give you a call to let you know how they're doing." Nejire squeezed y/n's hand before letting it go. With a nod, y/n backed away. She took note of the destroyed building in front of her.
'What exactly happened here...?' Her thoughts swirled with confusion as she walked back to the dorms.

Y/n's night was restless with endless thoughts of worry for her friends.
'What if Mirio doesn't make it out... his wound looked pretty serious. And Tamaki? Is he ok...? God, I can't sleep...' she groaned and wriggled around, frustration building in her chest.