[fourteen]

Weeks flew past like feathers in the wind. Each day was packed with training. Whether it be horse riding lesson, hand to hand fighting training, or drilling battle tactics, it felt as if the sun was having a race through the sky, trying to show her face and leave as fast as possible.

Levi checked up on you almost every other minute. "Tired?" he asked. When you shook your head, he wouldn't pry, but you could feel him watching you carefully as you continued training.

Although you spent each day training with the squad, strangely, there was nothing about how to kill titans. It seemed there was always something else to do. You've seen the stands used for practice, so it's definitely there, but Levi has never assigned titan training in the past month you were with the squad.

It was weird, of course, but you brushed it off. Maybe it wasn't as important, or there wouldn't be any expeditions soon. Or, best case scenario, the titans weren't as big of a threat as you thought they were. Maybe, since Isabel and Farlen's death, the Survey Corp's technology had improved, and people would no longer have to risk their lives fighting titans.

It was wishful thinking, of course, but it allowed you to settle the uneasiness in your mind.

But you had to face that uneasiness today.

"(Y/N)?" Rayan said.

"Yes?" you turned away from the horse you were grooming.

"Yer in big trouble, missy. Got summoned to the Dep'ty Commander's office, 'ave you!" he grinned. "Jus' passed 'is office this mornin', and 'e asked me to send you there firs' I saw you."

The Deputy Commander? If you remembered correctly, that was Erwin Smith. To be honest, you didn't really mention much about him except for how much surface area his eyebrows took up on his face.

What could he want? You hadn't seen him since your first day above ground. Was he doing a check-up? See how you're doing? No, that can't be it. He didn't seem like a guy who would be considerate enough to make sure you were integrating well.

Your blood ran cold. Was he going to send you back? Your heart beat wildly in your chest as you left the stables and started making your way to the command building.

Maybe that's why you hadn't had any titan-killing training. They must've realized you were so bad, they couldn't use you. But that doesn't make sense—if you were so bad, what's the point in sending you back to the Underground, when you could just die outside the Walls? The Survey Corps seems like they would always be lacking in cannon fodder. Considering how you knew the inner workings of their system and received training, it wouldn't make sense to send you back to become a criminal. You were already a pain to the Military Police before, and now with proper training, there's no way they would be able to handle you.

And Levi. There's no way he would let them do that, right?

Right?

Despite your efforts to calm yourself, you couldn't help feeling panicked as you stood outside of the deputy commander's office.

Get yourself together. Don't let him think you're weak. You took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

"Come in," he called.

Gathering your wits and putting on a blank face, you entered his office.