[fifteen]

"Oh, (Y/N)," Erwin said as you stepped inside, closing the door behind you. "I see my message got to you. I was afraid Rayan wouldn't tell you."

"Is it because he has a short memory?"

"No, Rayan has a brilliant memory. He's just a bit of a wildcard. He might tell you a year from now that you're wanted in my office." Erwin leaned back in his chair. "But it's nice to see he's starting to respect my orders more now that I'm a higher rank than him."

"...What do you want? Sir," you quickly added at the end, not wanting to sound too rude.

"Not a fan of small talk, I see? That will make this easier." Erwin's gaze rested on you, and you felt a shiver go down your spine.

It was like he could see directly into your soul.

"Miss Magnolia..." he started. "Tell me..."

You gulped, preparing yourself for the worst.

"...how are you doing? Do you find yourself fitting well with military life?"

You blinked in surprise. This was pretty much the exact opposite of what you were expecting.

"Um...yes?" you said, not quite knowing how to respond.

"That's good to hear," he said, "How are you finding the training? Is it difficult?"

Difficult? You wanted to laugh. "No, not at all." It was nothing compared to what you had to learn in the Underground alone in order to survive. 

"I see. Miss Magnolia..." Erwin folded his hands, resting his chin on top. "Do you think you are ready for a recon mission?"

"Recon mission?"

"Yes. A simple mission, outside the walls, to look for checkpoints for future missions, happening in the next few weeks. I'd love to have you join us, but the length of time you've been training is much, much shorter than the average soldier. Nevertheless, I wanted to invite you. Now tell me...do you feel ready?"

He looked up at you. His words sounded polite and kind, but his eyes were calculating. You must accept, they seemed to say, you have no choice.

You took a shaky breath, forcing yourself to calm down. "I would be happy to join you," you said, "but I still don't know how to kill a titan. Is that something I need to know now, or is that something I learn on the job?"

The look in Erwin's eyes changed from calculating to a dismayed, almost shocked, expression. He let out a small chuckle. "I'm sorry? I must be misunderstanding you," he said, "Are you saying you still don't know how to kill a titan?"

You shook your head.

"Tell me, where is the weak spot on a titan?"

"Um...behind its knees?"

"Wrong, it's its eyes."

"Oh, I guess that would make sense too. What?" you asked defensively as Erwin stared at you with a mixture of disappointment and distaste.

"You really don't know anything about slaying a titan, huh? Not even the basics," Erwin said, dropping the formalities as he shook his head.

"Am I supposed to?" 

"Yes, yes, you should. Levi was right, but I didn't expect it to be like this."

"Levi? What did Levi say?" you asked hesitantly, knowing in your gut that you wouldn't like the answer. 

"He said you were a slow learner. Very slow learner. But I never expected you to to be completely oblivious to what is considered common knowledge," Erwin said flatly. 

Your cheeks burned. His tone didn't sound like he was insulting you, but he very clearly was. The embarrassment quickly turned to anger as you rushed to defend yourself. 

"I was never taught anything about titans," you said quietly, trying to stop yourself from yelling.

Erwin raised his eyebrows. "Then I suppose I must speak to Levi about this. You're dismissed."

You left without another word, resisting the urge to slam his door. Only a few moments after stepping outside, you saw him. 

Just the man you were looking for.

"(Y/N)?" he said, looking almost surprised. "What are you doing here?"