Twilight - Edward Cullen x Emily

Imagine for: SugaEm11
word count - 885

Edward Cullen. His name tasted like poison on your tongue. He had to be the most egotistical guy you've ever met, he just had a way of ticking you off. I mean, it wasn't your fault you figured out his secret, if you were being honest he wasn't doing very well at hiding it. Not eating, not drinking, disappearing when it was sunny. Could he be more obvious?

You were sitting in the cafeteria with Eric, Angela, Jessica, Bella and Mike when you noticed the Cullen coven glaring at you. This made you a bit uneasy as you weren't sure why they were looking at you that way. Were they planning on feeding on you?

"Emily, are you listening?" Jessica asked, pulling you from your internal panic.

"Huh?" you blurted, confused. "Erm, sorry... what were you saying?"

"Will you come prom dress shopping with me this weekend?" she asked, rolling her eyes at having to repeat herself.

"Of course" you nodded, smiling at the thought. "Angela, Bella, are you joining?"

"Er, I have this thing," Bella answered, awkwardly nibbling on her celery. "In, er, Jacksonville... so I can't make it to prom."

"What?" you exclaimed, a bit too loudly, causing the rest of the cafeteria to look at you. You noticed Edward smirk slightly, but you shrugged it off and continued, "Bella! You have to come to prom!"

"Sorry" she shrugged.

You sighed. "Angela?"

"Yeah sure, I'm in!" she agreed.

"Great!" you smiled.

***

You took a beautiful red dress from the rack and held it up against you, admiring it. It was floor length, with off the shoulder sleeves and a flowy skirt. You immediately fell in love with it, so you hurried to try it on. Angela and Jessica waited for you to emerge from the changing rooms, both their jaws dropping in awe as you spun.

"That's beautiful!" Angela gasped, smiling. "You look amazing!"

"That's definitely the one!" Jessica agreed.

"I agree," someone added. Edward.

"What are you doing here?" you seethed, folding your arms over your chest.

"Erm, suit shopping" he replied, stuttering slightly. "For prom."

"Wait, you have a date?" Jessica asked, seemingly disappointed.

"Er, no" he chuckled, looking down. "I'm actually going with my adoptive siblings."

"Oh, well, that's nice!" Angela said. "You know, Emily doesn't have a date either."

"Ang!" you protested, throwing a hanger at her. 

"Right.." Edward raised an eyebrow at you. "Can I speak with you, please? Outside?"

"I-- ugh fine" you rolled your eyes, before going back into the changing room and changing out of the dress. You asked the girls to hold onto it while you went to speak with Edward. "Yes?" you huffed impatiently when you got outside.

"Who have you told?" he snapped, his mood shifting immediately.

You were taken aback. "I beg your pardon?"

"Who have you told about me being a vampire?" he asked, angrily.

"Wh-- nobody!" you shouted. "I'm not stupid!"

"Well, I disagree with you there!" he retorted.

"Wow, thanks" you laughed, dryly. "And my friends wonder why I don't like you!"

His angry expression wavered slightly. "You don't like me, huh?"

"I despise you."

"Ouch" he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well, I guess I have been pretty harsh."

"And aggressive" you added. "Oh! And you always glare at me when you see me!"

He winced, but his eyes held amusement. "Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry"

You furrowed your eyebrows. "You-- you-- you're sorry? Did you just apologise??"

"I want to take it back now" he sighed, looking up at the sky with a grin. 

"No, no, its too late now" you smirked. 

You both laughed, before looking down at your feet. 

"You really did look beautiful in that dress" he muttered.

You couldn't help but blush at his statement. "Thank you, I think I'm going to buy it."

"You should" he nodded in agreement. "Er, Emily?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to be my date to prom?" he rushed out, laughing nervously at the end.

"What?" you asked, confused. "But... you hate me?"

"I never hated you" he confessed. "Just mildly disliked you because of the way you make me feel."

"How do I make you feel?" you asked.

"Human" he responded, almost immediately. "I-- you make me feel alive."

You smiled, before nodding. "Sure, I'll go to prom with you."

"Good" he smiled.

"I erm, I'd better get inside and buy that dress" you said, biting your lip. "I think Jessica's a bit fed up of waiting."

"Right" he nodded. "I'll see you around."

"Okay" you responded, heading back inside.

When you told Angela and Jessica what just happened you had to cover your ears to muffle their excited squeals.

***

The music blared out of the speakers as Eric and Angela DJ'd. Edward twirled you and spun you, often leaning in to whisper jokes in your ear. You felt like a princess when you with Edward. The way he looked at you made your heart melt. An upbeat '80s song came on, causing people to change the way they were dancing. Edward stopped and looked at you awkwardly. 

"Oh come on!" you laughed. "You were alive during this period! I bet you know all the dances from the '80s!"

He laughed and met your eye before doing the moonwalk, making you laugh loudly. He chuckled at you before making his way towards you. He took in a sharp breath before leaning in to briefly press his lips against yours. He pulled back almost immediately, wincing slightly.

"Its okay" you smiled, understanding.

And with that, he pulled you back in and the two of you danced the night away.