Outer Banks - JJ Maybank (1)

This imagine is dedicated to, but not written for, . Thank you for your support on and interest in this book :)
word count - 782

Your boyfriend JJ was prone to getting himself into trouble, and this was proven throughout the past few weeks when he got himself into trouble with the Kooks.  It had been getting worse over the last few weeks, and you knew it was something to do with his time at home, you knew his father had been abusing him, but he had asked you not to say anything.

You were home alone one night, reading in your bed, when there was a frantic knock at the door. You heard muffled sobs from outside, so hurried down the stairs to answer. There stood your boyfriend, his lip bleeding and his eye swollen and bruised, crying uncontrollably. As soon as you opened the door, he fell into your arms, crying into your shoulder and holding you tight.

"JJ" you whispered, running your fingers through his dirty blonde hair. "Baby, what happened?"

"My dad" he cried. "He was drunk and he just lashed out. He called me a waste of skin and told me he wished I'd never been born."

"Oh, JJ" you frowned. "C'mere, come inside, we'll fix that lip and eye of yours, okay?"

Your boyfriend lifted his head and pecked your cheek. "Thank you Y/N."

"Of course" you smiled, taking his hand and leading him to the kitchen. 

You gestured for him to sit on the kitchen counter as you got the ice from the freezer, but he shook his head, so you sat on the counter instead and told him to stand between your legs. You took six pieces of kitchen roll and put them one on top of the other, before putting a handful of ice in the middle of them and folding them up, pressing them against JJ's swollen eye. He let out a loud wince and grabbed your wrist unintentionally. You gave him a small smile as you held the ice in place, hoping that it would reduce the swelling a bit. You told him to keep the ice on as you dampened another square of kitchen roll with your water bottle and placed it gently on his split lip. Again, he winced slightly, causing you to grimace. You hated seeing him in pain.

"Babe?" he whispered as the two of you cared for his injuries.

"Yeah?" you asked, dabbing the cut gently.

"Do you think my dad's right?" he asked. "I mean, maybe I am a waste of skin."

"JJ Maybank!" you protested, putting down the wet kitchen roll. "Don't you ever, ever say that! You are the kindest, funniest and most selfless person I have ever met! You always put everyone before yourself, you're loyal and compassionate. You're probably the best surfer in the Outer Banks! You couldn't possibly be a waste of skin!"

JJ smiled, and leaned his forehead against yours. "You mean that?"

"Of course I mean it!" you smiled. "I love you."

His breath hitched in his throat as he pulled back and looked into your eyes. He looked speechless and you were worried as he looked really bothered by your words. But his mouth spread into a wide grin as he discarded the ice and lifted you off the counter, spinning you around and hugging you tightly. You both laughed as he put you down, then he put a hand on either side of your face. 

"I love you too" he mumbled, happily.

He pressed his lips against yours in a simple peck, before peppering your face with kisses. You giggled and blushed at the gesture, before pulling back, a stern look on your face. 

"You've got to keep the ice on your eye" you said, picking the ice back up and putting it on his eye again. "It'll reduce the swelling."

"Y/N?" JJ asked, quietly. "Can I stay here tonight? I don't really want to go back home..."

"Yeah" you nodded, taking his hand and leading him to your room. You climbed into bed, dragging him in with you and lay on his chest as he covered you both with your duvet. You listened to the sound of his heartbeat and allowed it to calm you.

"Thank you" your boyfriend breathed, running his fingers through your hair. 

"What for?"

"Everything" he laughed. "For being mine. For being here for me when I need you... for loving me. I'd be lost with out you, Y/N. And I know that you sometimes think that Kie and I are going to get together, but I promise that its never going to happen! I'm in love with you, and you only. I never want to lose you."

"You're never going to lose me, baby" you mumbled into his chest. 

He breathed out a sigh of relief. "Good."

You both stayed silent for the rest of the night, allowing each other's presence and heartbeat to lull you to sleep.