3: 7 A.M.

"Seriously, another romantic song? What the fuck, Steve."

Peter bites down his bottom lip at Tony's snarky reply to the song reveal. It's Monday morning, and they're discussing their plan for the upcoming week. They're looking at their seventh show already and from now on they'll have to perform two choreos rather than just one. It's safe to say that Tony is stressed. He's tired. Tired of the intensive training for a sport he'd never done in his life. Tired of the country's eyes on him. Of course, he's used to being in the center of attention, but never before had his sexuality been such a hot item. Peter knows how much pressure there is on him right now, and he doesn't really blame him for feeling on edge. However, he will not allow the man to scold their friend and coach just like that.
"Tony, come on, it's-"
"Oh," Tony waves his hand dismissively. "Shut up."

What?

Peter scoffs and raises from his seat. Tony's lips part and Peter can see the regret crossing his face. He feels bad for the man, but he's not going to let himself be treated this way. He doesn't want to practice lifts when the man is this tense. So he grabs his bag and sighs.
"Alright, then. Go home, take care of yourself. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Wha-" He hears Tony's dumbfounded voice behind him. Peter simply ignores it and lets out a small breath when the door falls shut behind him. He almost feels guilty about walking away without saying another word. Without giving Tony a chance to speak.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow they'll discuss it properly.

He heads towards the rink downstairs and smiles at the familiar, comforting cold when he steps inside. It's not like Tony is the only one who's made sacrifices to participate in the contest. It's been too long since Peter just... Skated. No choreo, no teaching, just flowing wherever the music takes him. Since it's only 7 am the rink is still nearly empty.
Peter sits down at one of the benches and slides his feet inside the skates. He doesn't even bother taping his ankles the way he usually does to protect his skin. He won't be on the ice too long anyways. He-
"Hey, Pete."
Peter turns around and is surprised to see MJ standing on the ice and leaning on the edge of the rink.
"Hey hey," he replies, forcing a smile on his lips. He enjoys seeing her, but somehow the little incident with Tony has crept under his skin.
"Trouble in paradise, huh?"
"Ugh, Tony's a genuinely nice man, but he's awfully stressed out and taking it out on Steve and me."
"So you left?"
"Mh-mh."
"Cool. That'll do him some good. Now get your ass over here and skate with me."

Peter smiles and gets up, letting his worries glide off his shoulders when he feels the smooth ice allowing him to slide across. This is where he belongs most. This is where he feels free. MJ grins and grabs both his hands. She too is meant for figure skating. Her grace, her passion, her- Peter frowns and tightens his grip on her hands a little. His head snaps up worriedly. Her fingers are rough and chafed. And thin.
"Michelle," he breathes quietly. The girl freezes right where she stands, and he feels the tension rising in her body.
"Peter, it's nothing I swear."
"Then how did you know what I was gonna say?"

MJ presses her lips together and pulls her hands back. She crosses her arms in an attempt to hide them. Peter takes a quick glance at her body and feels panic rising in his chest. He hadn't been paying attention. Hadn't seen it coming. Her thin frame is showing more bone than it usually does. He spots how she tried to use a thicker pair of leggings to cover it up, but he knows her.
"It's..." MJ sighs. She knows that he knows. "It's not as bad as it used to be." Her voice is small and defensive. Scared. Peter's heart tugs at his chest and he bridges the gap between them. MJ relaxes slightly in his hold. How hadn't he seen it earlier?
"Has anyone... Said, y' know, stuff to you?" Peter asks carefully. MJ shakes her head right away.
"Not directly. It's..." Her voice trails off, and she stares at her toe picks. "YouTube is different than national television. People have strong opinions. If they don't like Clint, they hate me. If they love Clint, they hate me. I... My thoughts... They try to come up with a solution on how to fix that."
"Em..."
"Peter, please. Don't worry about it too much 'kay? I've already told Pep. She's getting me a referral to Dr. Banner again."