Chapter Six - The Bike 'Accident'

[NEWLY EDITED 📝]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your POV

It was a regular routine every day for me to visit Mr. Miyagi in his workshop after school and for us to trim bonsai trees. For hours I would talk his head off, explaining to him things happening at school and so on. I enjoyed it because he actually listened carefully to what I said and provided me with good advice.

Sometimes we would even practice kata together.

That evening I was deep into conversation with Mr. Miyagi about Daniel.

"It's just. . .I don't know," I said with a shake of my head. "Some days it seems like he likes me and other days. . .not really. Him and Ali always strike up a conversation with each other. And he's never talked to me the way he talks to Ali. It's like she's special to him."

Anger flowed inside of me at the thought of Daniel and Ali together. Any chance she'd get of seeing Daniel near her, she would run over to him and act all flirtatious. Daniel would act the same.

It was hard to tell. What I could tell, though, was if Daniel did like somebody, then that somebody would be Ali. . .not me.

"Y/N-san, careful with bonsai!" Mr. Miyagi warned me.

Alert and out of my thoughts, I gasped when I realized that I had almost trimmed off an entire branch.

"Shoot! Heh, thanks for telling me, Mr. Miyagi," I said embarrassingly.

"Time to forget about boy and to focus on tree."

Honestly, even though I actually had talked Mr. Miyagi's head off tonight, it was hard for me to forget about Daniel.

"I know," I sighed.

He glanced at me over his glasses and smiled, then resumed his trimming.

I overlooked my own bonsai tree. No wonder Mr. Miyagi seemed unsatisfied with my work—it was a sloppy mess. There were places that I shouldn't have cut, though I did. Other places needed trimming, so I decided to continue anyway.

And this time my concentration was on only the tree in front of me.

+ + +
3rd Person POV

On an isolated stretch of road, Daniel heard the sound he had been dreading—the sound of motorcycles. He immediately began pedaling faster.

Solemnly, and with the same precision Daniel had seen at the dojo that afternoon, Johnny and the Cobras surrounded Daniel with their motorcycles. Inch by inch as they rode down the road, they forced his bicycle near the edge.

"Looking for a shortcut back to Newark, Daniel?" asked Tommy.

"No, he wants to learn karate," spoke Johnny. "Well, here's your first lesson: how to take a fall."

"W-what are you doing?" Daniel asked, even though he had an idea of what they were going to do to him this time.

"Don't think about the pain."