Chapter 1: The new kid

There are a lot of stories with a similar setting to this, but I have tried to keep it as original as possible. Some plot lines in this story will be similar to the original show, but in a modern setting, but not all of them. This chapter is a lot of dialogue and setup, but it will hopefully get more interesting in the next chapter. 

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Avatar the last Airbender or its Characters. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          It was a sunny September morning, and as usual, two siblings were arguing on their way to school. 

"You just had to sleep in on the first day of school; didn't you, Sokka," said one of them.

"As a matter of fact, I did," said the other. It was two miles from their small, closely knit neighborhood to Four elements high school, and it was exhausting for Katara to walk there every day with her incompetent brother. 

"It's my junior year, sis," said Sokka, "and I've put together a list of things I want to accomplish before the year's over."

"Please," Katara sighed, " enlighten me." 

"I will. Number 1," He cleared his throat, " become captain of the soccer team." 

"Ambitious," said Katara, rolling her eyes, "That's unlikely to happen. You know Suki's gonna be captain. After all, it's her senior year." Sokka ignored her. 

"Number two; become the cool upperclassman that the freshman look up to, but also fear."

Katara barely managed to contain her laughter.

"That," she said between giggles, "Is even more unlikely."

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," said Sokka, obviously annoyed, "number three," he paused for dramatic effect, "Get a girlfriend."

"And that is the most unlikely of all!" Katara exclaimed, "I can't think of a single girl at Four Elements High School who would want to date you."

"You guys go to Four Elements?" The siblings turned around, startled, and Katara saw the strangest boy she had ever met. He was about her height, with clear grey eyes. He wore a red and yellow sweatshirt, and an orange beanie with a blue arrow down the middle, but perhaps the strangest thing about this boy was the huge white sheep dog walking next to him, with brown fur forming the shape of an arrow on his forehead. 

"Sorry to bother you, but I'm kinda lost," said the boy, "I'm Aang, by the way."

"Find your own way to school," said Sokka before Katara roughly elbowed him.

"What my brother means is, we'd love to show you the way. I'm Katara. This lovable oaf next to me is Sokka."

"Emphasis on lovable," Sokka cut in. 

"Are you a freshman?" Katara asked.

"I'm a sophomore, but I just moved here. I've never been to public school before, so I'm a little nervous." 

"Don't worry," Katara said, "You'll figure it out, but I don't think you can bring pets inside," she pointed at Aang's dog.

"Oh. Appa will just wait outside. He has some separation anxiety." Aang patted the creature's shaggy head, "Don't you buddy." He turned to the siblings. "How far do you guys have to walk? Aren't we still a mile away."

"Yeah..." Katara said hesitantly, "Technically we aren't supposed to go to Four Elements, but I have a natural healing ability with my waterbending, so I got in, and Sokka got in because he's my brother."

"Hey, I'm-" Sokka searched for the right word, "Mildly athletic!" 

"Relax, I'm just kidding. Sokka's actually really smart, and he's a total overachiever when it comes to math and science," Katara said proudly.

"But that doesn't mean I'm a nerd," Sokka cut in.

"There's nothing wrong with being a nerd," Aang assured. The three of them walked in silence for a while, which gave Katara some time to think. Aang was so strange. She had never met anyone like him before.

"Are you a bender?" she asked tentatively.

"Yeah..." he replied. She could tell from the tone of his voice that he didn't want to talk about that particular subject. Katara checked her watch. It was 8:15. She sighed.

"Let's pick up the pace, Sokka," she said, "You were the one who slept in." They were almost running when they reached Four Elements High School. 

Aang's eyes widened. "Whoa." The school consisted of two large buildings. Katara pointed to the one on the left. Ivy crawled up the brick walls, and students milled aimlessly around the courtyard.

"This is where the normal classes are. Math, science, history, etc." she pointed to the building on the right. Unlike the first building, this one had a glass ceiling, and huge glass windows. Aang could see an indoor pool inside."This is the bending specific building," Katara said,  "This is also where the main offices are." 

"That's where I need to go!" Aang said brightly. 

"Have fun," Sokka started to walk away before Katara elbowed him for the second time that day.

"Actually," she said softly, "why don't we come with you!" Aang smiled even more than he already was. Sokka grumbled but didn't complain as they headed towards the front desk (Appa sat patiently out front). Behind the front desk was a woman who didn't look that much older than them. Her name tag said that her name was June. 

"Excuse me," Aang said tentatively, "I'm new here, and I need my schedule."

"What's your first name?"

"Aang." Katara pulled out her phone while June asked Aang a series of questions. She raised her eyebrows when Aang said that he was a vegetarian. The pieces were starting to click into place. The red and yellow sweatshirt, the hat, the vegetarianism, and the huge sheep dog all sounded like -

"Are you a bender Aang?" Katara quickly put her phone away.

"Yeah, I'm a bender?"

"Which element?" Aang sighed.

"Air." Katara's eyes widened. Sokka did a double take. Aang was an air nomad? From behind her computer, June smiled.

"But  it's not just air," she said, "Is it?"

"Yeah..." Aang looked over at Katara and Sokka, "I'm the Avatar."

---------------------------------------------------------

If anyone sees this, Thanks for Reading! This is my first story and it was really fun to make. The next chapter will be a lot longer. 

Have a great week! :)