Chapter 8: The Party- pt. 2

DISCLAIMER: I don't own ATLA or any of its characters!

I'm not gonna lie I was crying while writing the first part of this chapter.

Hope you take that as a good sign😐

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sokka followed Suki out of the house and onto the back patio. It was cold, and the outdoor thermometer said it was below freezing, but it didn't look like it would snow. The chilly weather kept almost everyone inside, so it was just the two of them. 

"We need to talk," Suki said quietly.

"Yes! Yes we should. Suki, I think I'm in love with you." 

"You think you're in love with me Sokka," her voice was still quiet, but it was starting to shake, "You think you're in love with Yue, too, and two years ago you thought  you were in love with Ty Lee," her voice rose. Suki had always been so calm and collected before and it was a little unnerving, "Sokka, I'm leaving in a week, and I will be gone for two months, and I just know that you're not going to think you like me after those two months."

"Wait, Suki-" Sokka had forgotten all about Suki leaving.

"Sokka, I really like you," she interrupted, "but I'm looking for a real relationship." She inhaled deeply, and looked him in the eyes, "You think you like me, but you don't know yet. If I get back in January, and you still think you're in love with me, then we can talk." 

"Suki-" he started.

"No."

"Suki I'm sorry!" She paused for a moment. Then she gently kissed him on the cheek and headed back inside. It was a simple interaction, a short interaction, but Sokka felt as though something inside him had flickered out.  

                                                                                         ~~~

Katara and Aang were once again sitting on the loveseat in the corner of the room. They had played truth or dare for a while longer before deciding to do something else. Katara sighed.

"Are you alright?" Aang asked, "You've been sighing a lot."

"I just feel guilty about Sokka," Katara watched as Suki walked back inside, frowning. She plastered a fake smile on her face, and walked over to her friends, "It doesn't look like it went well."

"We all make mistakes," Aang stood up, "I saw some cheese puffs in the kitchen. Do you want to go get some? It'll get your mind off of things." 

"Yeah. That sounds good."

"Katara?" It was Jet, "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Uhh, sure. I'll be there in a second, Aang." He nodded and headed into the kitchen.

"Katara, can I ask you a question?"

"yeah..."

"Will you go out with me," he asked loudly. Suddenly the room grew quiet, and Katara and Jet were right in the center of it. Heads turned towards them.

"Aww, you guys would make such a cute couple."

"She'd better say yes."

"I'm so jealous of her!"

 Katara smiled nervously, then she looked Jet in the eye and her gaze hardened. He knew exactly what he was doing. 

"Sorry Jet, but I barely know you, and I just don't feel the same way." Everyone in the room collectively groaned, and went back to what they were doing, but not before glaring at Katara. Jet frowned, but it was quickly replaced with a smirk.