Chapter 26: Faerie Lights

It was a little after six. Students were milling around the courtyard, mostly staying close to the tables, eating food. Someone was playing guitar, and the delicate melodies wafted through the area. It was pretty mellow, and no one was dancing yet, but after the sugar from the pastries kicked in that would probably change. Sokka sat with Suki in the field, sharing a cherry hand pie. 

"I can't believe you're going to Kyoshi University at the end of the summer," Sokka said, staring sadly at the dessert.

"I know," Suki said, "I feel like we just got together, and now I'm leaving again." They sat in silence for a while.

"So what's it like," Sokka asked, "Kyoshi University, I mean." 

"Oh," Suki took out her phone, "Well it's in a subtropical climate, so it's warm all year round," she showed him a picture of her and her friend standing by a palm tree, from when she had gone there a few months ago, "and it's mostly non-benders that go there, because there's no bending allowed on campus," she showed him a few more photos, of the soccer field, and the dorms, and the beach that was just a few miles away. Sokka smiled.

"It seems perfect for you," he said.

"I think you'd fit right in, if you end up going there," Suki rested her head on his shoulder,"I'm going to miss you, Sokka." 

"At least we'll have the whole Summer together," Sokka said, trying to lighten the mood.

"At least there's that," Suki sighed and stood up, and Sokka quickly followed suit, "I guess we should get back to the festivities."

"I guess we should," Sokka said, but not before pulling her towards him and kissing her. Suki was at first astonished at the suddenness and spontaneity of it all, but then she eagerly returned the kiss, and they were both smiling when they pulled away. Then they started back towards the courtyard and the lights and reality.                                                                       

                                                                     ~~~

It was six thirty and still, no one was dancing. The music had changed to something that was a little more upbeat and better suited to dancing, but Aang and Katara still stayed around the edges of the courtyard with the other students. 

"So are you going back to see the airbenders for the Summer?" Katara asked. Aang nodded. 

"I'm going to take my driver's test next week, and then go home, but as soon as Summer ends, I'm coming back to Four Elements High School." 

"My dad's coming back this Summer," Katara said, "He's been away for business reasons, but he's going to be back in town for a year."

"That's great!" Aang said, his smile a genuine one, "I'd love to meet him," there was a pause, "Does he... know about me?" Katara laughed.

"Of course he knows about you, Aang! He complains that you're all I talk about on the phone," she thought for a moment, "I mean, he doesn't know you're my boyfriend, but he won't care."

Boyfriend. Katara had never called him her boyfriend before. They were official! They were dating! They were-

"Katara, do you want to dance with me?" he blurted out. 

"I- I'm not really good, but okay," Katara said apprehensively. They stepped out into the cleared brick area of the courtyard. It was completely empty, so naturally people noticed when Aang and Katara walked in. 

"Aang," Katara whispered, "I don't really know what we're supposed to do..." Aang took her hand and twirled her around.

"Don't worry about it," he said calmly, "It's just you and me." Katara was uncertain for a moment, but Aang's smile was infectious. She took both his hands in hers. And then they were moving, spinning, twirling to the beat of the music, finding a rhythm they never knew they had. Aang heard some oohs and aahs of the people in the crowd, and more people walked onto the dance floor. But he and Katara still seemed to be in the spotlight. 

Aang heard the muffled voice of Toph saying, "Who knew twinkle toes could dance?!" Zuko and Mai stood by the edge of the dance floor, refusing to participate, but they were holding hands, which was more affection than they usually showed in public. Zuko was lightly tapping his foot to the music, and Mai was actually smiling, which was by far the most unusual thing that happened that night. Ty Lee beamed and cartwheeled into the fray. Then Aang was thrown for a loop when she cartwheeled back, off of the dance floor and towards an awkward looking Azula, who was standing by the tea station (Iroh's idea). 

He heard Ty Lee saying, "Come on, let's just freestyle for a while," and two pairs of footsteps step onto the dance floor, but then he felt Katara's hands on his hips and he was thrown back into the pandemonium. A few minutes later, Sokka and Suki danced their way towards him. 

"I'm impressed," Sokka said, "I can't believe that this whole thing was all you two."   

"Well, you guys helped as well," Aang said, blushing a bit from the praise "When you got us the money to pay the fee!" Things were winding down a little bit more, so the four of them went over to Toph, who was standing to the side, with her feet firmly planted to the ground. Her head was tilted to one side, as if she were listening to something. Zuko came over to them as well.

"Where's Mai?" Katara asked. To this, Zuko pointed to the other side of the courtyard, where Mai, Ty Lee and Azula were talking. They seemed very uncomfortable until Ty Lee said something that was either funny or hilariously dumb, and a peal of laughter rippled through them, albeit an awkward one. 

"I think they're going to be alright," Zuko said. Satisfied, the six of them walked over to the grass and kicked off their shoes, except for Toph, who had never had shoes in the first place. Zuko, Suki and Sokka walked off towards the cornhole boards, and Aang and Katara were about to follow when Toph pulled them back.

"Hey, Sugar Queen, Twinkle Toes," her voice was unusually soft, "thanks for this. I'm having fun." Then the three of them walked to join the others. Aang and Katara glanced at each other. They had spent almost an entire year with Toph, and yet they barely knew her at all. Zuko, Sokka, and Suki were laying in the grass, staring up at the stars, and Aang, Katara and Toph joined them. They made some small talk and laughed a little bit. They made up different constellations, and Aang felt that it was the end of a lot of things. It was the end of the year, the end of high school for Suki and Zuko and Mai, and what could very well be the end of his friendships with those three. But then, he thought, as he looked around at his friends, that he had only known for a year, but he felt that he had known for a lifetime.

It would mean the beginning of something too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thus marks the end of Four Elements High School, but fear not! I have a sequel planned. I'm not one of those people who prewrite their fanfics, so it should only be a week or two before I start on the next book *more info will be on my profile* I never thought this many people would read my first story, so thank you SO much for reading. You are all awesome!