Call

Everyone in this miserable world has a soulmate. It's quite pathetic seeing as though nobody actually gives a shit. Well, that nobody is me seeing as though everyone else adoressss the fact that one day they will meet someone and be stuck with them until death do us part.

Pathetic...

Soulmates: people who you so happen to be destined to spend your worthless life with.

Everyone receives a tattoo depicting something about their soulmate. Some have their name, others have a date that they will meet. Some have a tattoo of something your soulmate cares about or has a passion for.

I fell into the rarest category however. I had a black tattoo that would become colorful the second my soulmate and I connected.

Well, I hate people. So as long as I avoid em, looks like I don't need a soulmate.

I was born into a world made up of ability weilders and quirkless individuals. Quirk: a superhuman ability unlocking new potentials and gifting you the ability do something that shouldn't be humanly possible.

My mother and father were soulmates, obviously. They had met one another just after high school. Not that I cared. They had tattoos of each other's main personality traits. My mother had a tattoo of a lil sleeping bag, and my father had one of a small fireball. Energy and the lack thereof. Boring.

Kaori's PoV:

I could hear my father roll from his sleeping bag, off of the couch, and across the floor. "Kaori! Entrance exam is today so make sure to be ready in an hour!" My father called up the stairs.

I rolled my eyes, pulling myself out of my bed. I pulled on a chilled outfit before stalking downstairs. I smiled at my mother and father, pulling a bowl of cereal close to me.

"You ready for today hon?" My mom asked sweetly. I nodded, pulling out my notepad.

"As ready as I will ever be" I wrote, holding it up for her to see. She smiled and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead. I smiled a little wider.

My family made me feel safe. Like everything was alright. Like the past was so far gone I could relax and be myself. Sadly this moment of peace was short lived as I was interrupted by the roar of an engine as my father started the car.

Of course we were leaving early

I debated whether to go with my dad or catch a bus.

The drive with him will be calmer, and faster.

That's true...

I set my bowl in the sink and grasped the strap of my backpack that lay on the floor at my feet. I slipped my notepad inside and slung the monochromatic tye-dye backpack over my shoulder. I walked out to the car, waving goodbye to my mom.

Just breathe. They can't all be that bad...

Are you fucking sure about that brain?

It's gonna be okay...

You're almost non-existent so I suggest you quit adding your opinion.

After the lengthy debate with myself, which I won, obviously, the car slowed down in the UA Staff parking lot. "Good luck today Kaori," my father mumbled before stalking off, sleeping bag in hand.

I slipped from the car and strode towards the entrance. It took a while to find as I was used to using the staff entrance with my dad. Especially after the... incident ...

I kept my head down, but my eyes darted around, landing on each individual that I could spot. They circled around me, like sharks to blood.

"KAORI!"