A Sadness Runs Through Him

Completely inspired by Doctor Siren's Animatic "A Sadness Runs Through Him", linked above, go watch that first. I'll put timestamps for what each part of the story correlates to in the video. Since the description pretty much says "Grian is mad at Mumbo for some reason", this one-shot is just my interpretation of the story, so this is not me claiming the idea or that this is the actual story behind it, this is just for fun :)

(0:07 - 1:17) "I'm telling you, Mumbo, I'm fine." Grian began to pull on his elytra, fake smile on his face and a desperate need to escape.

        "No, Grian, You're not. Do you really think I can't see the bags under your eyes, the constant state of red your eyes are in, Grian, you are not ok." Mumbo explained, and Grian scoffed.

        "Ah yes, leave it to the person that only sees me about once a week to tell me everything about my emotional state. Becuase of course you know more about me than me." Grian retorted angrily as he finished putting on the elytra. 

        "Alright fine, maybe you think you're ok, but I know you're not." Mumbo tried. 

        "No Mumbo, you don't know! You don't know anything! So just drop it!" Grian turned and prepared himself for flight. 

        "Wait, Grian..." Mumbo raised his hand to place it on his shoulder, but before he could, Grian took off. Mumbo watched from the ground as Grian flew over the churning water, thinking about what he had said. The wind whipped across his face, making it even harder to hold in his tears he cold feel brimming his eyes. Amid his calming deep breath, he felt a jerk from behind him. His momentum was halted suddenly as he looked back at his elytra. He hadn't checked which one he put on during his anger, and now the old elytra was riddled with holes and rips. 

He felt his body plummet, and instead of the panic he was expecting, he accepted it. He closed his eyes until finally, his back smashed into the cold depths and sank. Once again, he just let it happen, tears disappearing among the salt water. Mumbo watched all of this happen, and the moment he saw Grian hit the water, instinct kicked in and he dove into the water. The cold shock of the waves rippled through his body, but this momentary shock only lasted a second, his attention being focused on the quickly sinking body of his friend. He swam over to him, scooping him into his arms and pulling both of them back onto land. The water dripped off of them in heavy drops as Mumbo laid Grian's body flat, desperately looking for a sign of breathing. Suddenly, after a painful silence, Grian gasped and began coughing violently. Mumbo sat him up and pulled him into a hug, and Grian accepted it for a moment. He curled into it, letting his tears fall with the water dripping from his hair. Mumbo pulled away to look at him, and laughed slightly.

        "I told you you weren't ok." He joked, and Grian's face dropped. He stood, looking down at Mumbo before turning and trying to wipe away his tears. "Wait, no, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-" Grian didn't stop, and left Mumbo alone, soaking wet and concerned.

(1:18 - 2:05) Grian had avoided Mumbo after that, staying away from his base or leaving anytime he saw Mumbo enter the same shop. Mumbo had noticed this, but decided to give Grian some space. But after a week of only catching the back of his head walking out of a door, he saw Grian talking happily to Iskall in the shopping district. 

        "Hey guys!" Mumbo called out ot them, catching their attention. The moment Grian recognized the voice, his expression dropped and he began to walk away. Iskall had raised his hand to wave, but noticed Grian's change too. 

        "What's going on?" Iskall asked Mumbo as he passed him, chasing after Grian. Mumbo shrugged in response and continued to walk behind Grian.

        "Look, I'm sorry." Grian stopped, and Mumbo placed his hand on his shoulder. "I'm not sure what I did, but I'm sorry." At this, Grian whipped around to face him.