CHAPTER 6

MASON'S POV

I was pulling up to my mom's house and my phone went off. I looked down and saw Jasmine was letting me know she was headed to the restaurant.

See you soon. Picking up Mom.  I replied.

I got out of my SUV and knocked on the front door. When it opened, I saw my mom's smiling face.

"Well, aren't you handsome?! Is this all for me?"

My mom admired my taupe gray suit with red lines. I paired it with a yellow shirt (her favorite color) and a red tie.  I gave her a shy smile and kissed her cheek.  "Oh Mom! You know it's all for you! You're my favorite girl!"

"Boy, save those lines for the little ladies out there," she responded as she laughed.

"No line. You are my favorite girl. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"  I pulled her out of the house and into a hug. She squeezed me tight, then stepped back and looked at me.

"Thank you, son."

"Let's get going. Jasmine will be waiting for us."

My mom turned to the table by the door, grabbed her clutch, and closed the front door. I walked her to the passenger side of the SUV and helped her in. I climbed in and gave her a kiss on the cheek.  "Tonight's gonna be a good night."

JASMINE'S POV

I stood outside the restaurant, waiting for Mason and his mom. My stomach was doing somersaults. Why the heck was I so nervous? This was just dinner. We've all had dinner before.

"Get it together, girl," I whispered to myself.  As I adjusted the sides of my dress, I heard laughter behind me. I turned and saw them walking up to me. Lisa noticed me first and a bright, warm smile came to her face.

"Oh my baby, Jasmine! How are you?"  She pulled me into a hug as she said this. The hug tightened as she squeezed me and kissed my cheek.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MA!! I'm great and how are you?"

"Oh you know me, just glad to be kicking up dust on this side!"  We both laughed. I turned to Mason and he was staring at me. His eyes traveled the length of my body. When he saw my thigh peeking through the slit in my dress, he licked his lips.

Lisa exclaimed proudly, "Well you two look stunning! Y'all make this oldie feel like a goodie, wearing my favorite color."

"Thanks Ma, and you're not old," I stated.

"Tell my bones that."

Mason still stood silent, just staring.

I looked at him. "Masey-poo, you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm great. You look gorgeous. Thanks for coming."

"You know I wouldn't miss a chance to celebrate one of my favorite people, and I guess it's okay if you come along."  I lightly punch his arm. He grabs my hand and holds it, then flicks it away as if my hit hurt him.  "So dramatic."

"Let's go eat!"

MASON'S POV

When I saw Jasmine in that yellow dress, she was my sole focus. It was like everything around me faded out and she was this shining star. I couldn't help but stare at her. The dress fit her just right and seeing her thigh come through the slit in it, teasing me, I wanted to drop to my knees right then and place wet kisses on it.

I wanted my hands on her, to pull her into me and nibble on her neck. For my fingers to lightly trail up and down the back of her thigh as it's wrapped around me.

"Masey-poo, you alright?"

Her question shook me loose from the spell she'd cast on me. The smile on her face in that moment made me melt and I wanted her desperately. I was finally able to speak, telling her she looked gorgeous. That was the nicest thing I could say in front of my mother. I wanted to grab her and whisper that she was the sexiest woman I'd ever laid eyes on and I wanted my face buried between her thighs right now!

Man, I need to calm down! This isn't us. We don't do this. We don't feel this way about each other. We friendly flirt and stay friends. I just need to get laid and this will go away.

As we walked into the restaurant, my mom hugged my left elbow. I placed my right hand in the small space of Jasmine's back. She turned to me and grinned. That sent sparks straight to my díck and I groaned internally.

We were shown to our table and the waiter asked for our drink order.

"Well, I'm cutting loose tonight so I'll have an Apple Martini," my mom said.

Jasmine was next, saying, "I'll have vodka and cranberry juice."

"I'll stick with water since I'm driving you Mom."

"You're a good man."

I smiled at her as she pat my hand. Jasmine had picked up her menu, trying to decide what to order. Nothing came between her and food. That's one of the things I loved about her. She wasn't afraid to eat.

"Anything looking good, Jassy?"