CHAPTER 21

JASMINE'S POV

I was so excited! My party was tomorrow, so today was going to be spent in my catering kitchen making food with my mom.

“Thanks so much for your help, Mom.”

“Of course baby. Cooking and quality time, two of my favorite things.”

I watched as she added some pepper to the red sauce. She was going to make the Mostaccioli and her sauce was the business! Everyone loved it and always wanted her to bring it to functions.

"One of these days, I'm getting that recipe,” I said while pointing my spoon at her.

She pointed her spoon back and replied, “Mm hmm. One of these days, but not today!”

I laughed and turned to stir the macaroni noodles into the boiling water. While I was waiting for the water to return to a boil, there was a knock at the kitchen door. I turned and saw a bright smile.

“Mama Lisa! How are you?”

“I'm great!” she replied as I hugged her. She smelled like flowers and I held on to her. There was also something else, but I couldn't quite place it. The scent was comforting. She gave me a small squeeze before I pulled away.

“What are you doing here?”

Lisa walked over to my mom and hugged her. She then sat her bag in the corner on a counter and grabbed an apron. “Well, a little bird said some cooking hijinks were happening and I couldn't miss out on the fun!”

I looked toward my mom and she pretended to be focused on the ceiling, a smile playing on her lips. I blew her a kiss and turned back to Lisa. “Thanks for coming to help. Though Monica is making my big cake, I wanted some small sweets. Can you start on the dough for the cinnamon rolls?”

“Your wish is my command!” Lisa walked around the kitchen gathering the needed ingredients. She hummed absentmindedly and I tuned into her and just listened. I was reminded of times I'd been at her house with Mason over the years and she would hum as she cooked for us. Sometimes Mason would take her and spin her around the kitchen. She'd be breathless and smiling and he'd be laughing, that gorgeous smile of his, plastered on his face. His eyes shining with love for his mother.

“How's Mason?” The words flew out of my mouth before I could stop them. You could hear a pin drop. For the past six months, I hadn't said his name to Lisa.

“Oh! He's, he's doing great. Busy with work.” She seemed nervous in her reply and she didn't look at me. This made me nervous. I started thinking the worst.

“Are you sure? Is he alright? Did something happen to him?” I saw a small smile form and she shook her head.

Shaking her head, she replied, “No love. He's fine. He really is doing well, just working a lot to expand his company.”

“Oh ok.” I felt such relief at her reply. Though we hadn't talked and I hadn't seen him, I didn't want anything to happen to him. My world wasn't right without him in it, even if he wasn't fully in it. This sentiment was becoming more and more obvious as thoughts of Mason bombarded my mind. “Why did you seem so nervous then?”

Lisa shifted her weight and turned to look at me. She wiped her hand on her apron to get rid of the flour, at least some of it. “Well, I was caught off guard. You usually don't say his name. Also, he's here.”

My eyes widened and my mouth fell open slightly. “He's where?”

“He's here. He's home for a visit.”

“Oh.” My heart beat increased. I started to feel flush. He was here, in the same city as me. He hadn't contacted me. This made me sad. It was different when I knew he was gone. But he's here...and then it clicked! “That's it!”