Chapter 21

Zak falls into Darryl's arms, breathing heavily. Darryl checks his backside and finds that the bullet didn't make it all the way through his body. It didn't cut his spine since he was still alive, but it's still possible that it hurt something else inside of him. Darryl carefully sets Zak down on the floor and leans him against his bed.

"We need to stop the bleeding," Zak struggles to speak. His eyes water as he listens to his ears ring. "Shit, this fucking sucks."

"Language!" Darryl whispers to him, doing his best not to panic.

Zak glares at him as he grits his teeth. "We need to do this before I bleed out all over the carpet!"

Darryl nods and takes his hands off of Zak as he looks around the room. "Would a belt help?"

Zak shakes his head. "It wouldn't apply enough pressure. Go to the bathroom and grab one of my rags. I don't care which one." As Darryl leaves, Zak looks down at his bloodied hand and slowly lifts it from his wound. "Wow. It's a lot grosser than the textbooks made it seem like it'd be."

Darryl returns to the room with a rag in one hand. He was no longer able to contain his panic as he yelled at Zak, "Those kids are gone and they took Nick with them!"

Zak nods slowly, then looks down at his creek colored carpet, now stained a deep shade of red. "This is going to take forever to clean out."

"Do you know where your phone is?" Darryl asks as he paces the room. "We need to call for help and they took mine."

"I don't know, but find it quick," Zak demands. He rubs his hand across the pool of blood forming and lifts it up, watching as the blood trickles off of his hand and back onto the floor. "If I don't call someone to clean this soon, my carpet will be ruined."

"CAN YOU FORGET ABOUT THE CARPET ZAK?!" Darryl screams, finally breaking. "You just got SHOT because of me!"

Zak looks up at Darryl, removing the red stained rag from his wound. "What are you talking about?"

Darryl notices his exposed wound and dives to the ground to cover it back up, his knee landing in the pooling blood. He takes the rag from Zak and cringes as he places it against his wound. "I'm the one that shot you. I thought it was pointed at that other agent, but they turned it the last second and I shot you instead. I didn't realize it until after he left."

Zak rests his hands on top of Darryl's. "Hey, it's okay. Accidents happen."

"No! It's not okay!" Darryl cries, pushing his hands more into Skeppy's abdomen, causing him to wince in pain. "I-I shot you! I hurt you!"

"And you're going to kill me too if you push harder," Zak's face fills with pain as he pulls Darryl's hand slightly up.

Darryl shakes his head and presses onto him. "No, I need to put pressure on it! You're losing too much blood, Zak."

Zak's breathing begins to stutter as he scrunches his face up, doing his best to fight through the pain taking over his body. The pain turned to numbness and he found himself unable to feel his legs. "Darryl, you need to call for help."

Darryl nods. He takes his hand off of the rag and presses Zak's hands onto it. "Don't move, okay?" Zak leans his head back against his bed as he holds the soaking rag against his wound, groaning as he nods.

Darryl leaves the room, feeling incredibly sick. He couldn't believe he shot Zak. He wanted to scream, cry, and vomit all at the same time. And thinking about the fact that they got away with Nick only made him feel worse. He swallowed back the burning sensation at the back of his throat and eventually found Zak's phone on the table by the front door. He panicked at first when he saw that it required a password to get into, but found that his thumbprint still worked to unlock it. When they were still together, Zak had programmed Darryl's thumbprint into it for emergencies. He must've never deleted it. After unlocking the phone, he quickly finds Vincent's contact and calls him.