Chapter 05

At Ntokozo's House

He lightly shook Nomonde who opened her eyes and looked around the room frowning as she noticed unfamiliar surroundings.

Ntokozo: "Wake up before the sun rise."
Nomonde: "Ummh."

She leaped up and got down from the bed wearing her gown and went to the door without a word. Ntokozo looked at the unmade bed and her then shook his head mouthing wow.

He parked his car 3 houses away from theirs and dimmed the lights.

Ntokozo: "I'll talk to Sbani and let you know okay?"
She nodded her head and he sighed looking away. She unbuckled her seatbelt and stepped out, he reversed the car and drove off.

At Lindiwe's apartment

The bayb stopped crying as it hungrily sucked on it bottle. His milk was finished and he has been drinking juice since then.
She wiped her tears and gently laid him down and covered her face with a pillow crying.
Her son was hungry and she had no means of catering for his needs. Sbani has been doing everything for her and for the first time she needed him. She regretted insulting him like that, she swallowed and rubbed her eyes then reached for her cellphone calling Sbani using a private number...

Sbani: "Private number hello." His voice brought tears to her eyes, she placed her fingertips on the corners of her eyes and frowned exhaling.
Lindiwe: "Sbani it's me."
Sbani: "Donald Trump himself?"
Lindiwe:(frowned) "What?"
Sbani:(annoyed) "If you're not telling me who you are am I supposed to consult my ancestors for validation?"
Lindiwe: "It's Lindiwe."
Sbani: "What do you want?"
Lindiwe:(sniffs) "My bayb has no food, he's hungry and crying. I know you don't care but please help me It breaks my heart seeing him cry like this."
Sbani: "We're in need of farm workers, by 8AM be here, don't be late. Come with him there's a woman who looks after the kids whilst their mothers are working."
Lindiwe:(shocked) "Plant sugar cane? Me? Sbani have you seen me? What are people going to say?"
Sbani: "Tell your bayb to eat the people's comments since they're the one which keeps you going. Don't call me again for nonsense nxx."
Lindiwe: "No please don't hang up I'll come."
Sbani: "Don't come to my house, go to the cattle post I'll be there. Come with you id copy and bank statement."
Lindiwe: "Okay."

The call got disconnected and she curved her lips frowning. Working at the sugar cane fields is not an ideal job actually it was the worst job ever but her son need to be fed and if that what it takes to get money then he was going to do it.

He rose up and went to take a bath then dressed up. Neliswa barged in whilst she was tying the laces of her Tommie takkies.

Neliswa:(frows) "What are you wearing?"
Lindiwe: "Can you please drive me to the farm."
Neliswa: "Sbani called you?"
Lindiwe: "Actually he offered me a job." She rose up and wrapped her doek on her head.
Neliswa: "What..? Working as a farm worker? That's the higher level of disrespect how dare he? I hope we're going there to give her a piece of your mind."
Lindiwe:(angrily) "My bayb is hungry I don't have the luxury of being prideful right now. If he was offering me a job as his girlfriend's maid I would gladly take it you know why? Because my bayb is not going to eat my pride he wants milk and I need money to get it."
Neliswa: "I'm sorry okay? I didn't know being  a mother comes with a lot of sacrifices."
Lindiwe: "Are you going to take us?"
Neliswa: "Yeah I'm doing night shift so yeah. But please hurry I need to come back and sleep."
Lindiwe:(sighs) "Alright."

Neliswa sadly looked at her and went out.
She took the baby's things and prepared to bath him.

Meanwhile in Neliswa's room

Neliswa: "I'm telling you friend she's going to work at the farm, imagine the downgrade."
Biyo: "Yooh, so quick?"
Neliswa: "I told you that I know men like Sbani like the back of my hand. They'll tolerate your crap whilst unloving you in the process and when they leave, they're gone forever."
Biyo: "She's going through the most right now."
Neliswa: "Yeah tell me about it. And I'll be right next to Khambule pressing the right buttons until he's mine."
Biyo: "You go girl."
Neliswa: "Obviously like every Zulu man he's stubborn and draining but with the right set of words whispered in his ear all will be well."
Biyo: "The weird romantic gestures yooh sbwl."
Neliswa: "Hey! Don't that's my Zulu man I'm tired of Xhosas shame."
Biyo: "I hear you my friend let's chat later I'm about to sleep, Night shifts are doing the most on my energy."
Neliswa:(chuckled) "Sharp."