CHAPTER 18

For someone who had little to no interest in sports, Robert watched the game as intently as possible, resting his chin in his hands and staring straight ahead for long durations of time.

Honestly, the sight of it was so amusing, I struggled to pay attention to the actual game. Occasionally I'd mutter, "Describe to me what's happening right now," in Robert's ear, and he'd merely whisper, "Shut up. Fuck off," in response.

When it was half-time, he threw his head back and groaned loudly. "This is useless," he complained. "I have no idea what's going on." He glanced suspiciously up at me. "Do you?"

"I have a vague idea," I teased, smirking. He groaned again.

"Tell you what." I drew the twenty Elena had given me from my pocket and held it triumphantly before him. "'Moneybags Alyx' over here will treat you to one food item of your choosing."

"Aw, Alyx." Robert grinned widely as I stood from my seat. "You absolute legend. Go get me a soda you incredible man."

I bowed mockingly and made my way from the bleaches to a small makeshift canteen that had been set up a few paces away from the field. Given it was half-time, there was a decent line already forming, and I joined the end of it with a resigned sigh.

"Cash was so hot out there," a girl in front of me exclaimed. "I could barely concentrate on the game."

Her friend giggled shrilly into her shoulder. "I know what you mean. It's honestly a little annoying just how attractive he is."

Tell me about it, I thought despairingly, with whole-hearted agreement. What's a boy to do?

"Next, please," a voice called, and I moved up to the front of the line as the pair shuffled off. But before I could order, a tall shadow fell over me, and Cash himself cut in front of me.

"Sorry," he said without a hint of sincerity, turning to glance over a shoulder. "Players get first dibs-"

He broke off suddenly, as though shocked, and it occurred to me he mightn't have realised who I was when he'd taken my spot in the line. Now we were staring at each other, just staring, and I felt like my whole being was on fire.

"Nevermind," Cash said suddenly, abruptly stepping away. I gaped after his retreating form, barely able to comprehend it.

Did he feel guilty for the other day? Was that why he'd backed off?

Good, I thought firmly, setting my jaw. I told myself that was why I felt so euphoric; because the sight of me had upset Cash, and not because he'd seemed to regret pushing ahead of me.

"Excuse me?" The canteen worker was watching me irritably. "Are you going to order?"

"Yes," I said hurriedly, jolting upright. "Yes. Sorry."

- - - -

The rest of the night passed in a blur. Having officially given up on memorising football plays, Robert and I began mockingly commentating the remainder of the game, which was strangely therapeutic. With every insult, I felt the tension leave my body, and the stress from the past few days drain away. Up here, over the roar of the crowd, no one could hear us, and we were safe to ridicule those who had previously ridiculed us.

The last ten minutes were especially intense. The Geckoes and the Lions were tied, and the crowd was on the edge of their seats. Even Robert and I, despite being a little hazy on the rules, knew enough to understand the agitation and excitement that charged the air around us. When the Geckoes scored the final goal just as the game ended, the crowd erupted into cheers, and people stood from their seats and clapped vehemently, stomping their feet and hollering with delight.