CHAPTER 23

The rest of the week was pure bliss.

Cash and I met secretly at lunch every day, ducking into alcoves, empty classrooms, the janitor's closest. Any place where we could get a few moments alone.

Granted, the time we spent together was always fleeting, but for the next few days, I was the happiest I'd ever been at Grammarville. Cash and I would text in the evenings, and I'd go to bed thinking of his bright blue eyes and ringing laughter. And then I'd get to see him the next day at school.

It was perfect.

The only downside was that Robert, of course, had no idea-Which meant he was becoming increasingly baffled at my daily disappearing act.

"Seriously," he'd asked me on Thursday afternoon, "where do you go?"

So on Friday afternoon, when Cash informed me there was a party taking place tonight, I decided to bring Robert along to make up for it.

"A party?" He remarked sceptically when I brought it up after school. He was hastily shoving several large textbooks into his locker, and I caught one as it spilled from his arms.

"Yes." I handed it back carefully, smoothing down the cover. "I think it'll be fun, you know? We need to get out more. And you yourself said we should hang out more outside of school."

"Yeah, but..." Robert scratched awkwardly at the back of his neck. "Parties aren't really...My scene." He fixed me with a questioning frown. "I thought they weren't your thing either?"

I stared down at my shoes. "Er...Well..."

"Why don't you just come over to mine?" he suggested, wrestling his locker door shut. "We'll order a pizza, play some video games, watch a movie-Basic stuff. Leave the parties to the Cash's of the world."

I choked half-way through my yawn and began coughing, rubbing at my chest.

Robert started, reaching for me. "Are you oka-"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I insisted, batting him away. Oh, Robert, if only you knew. "Look, you dragged me to that football game."

Robert opened his mouth in outraged protest. "I did not drag-"

"And it worked out," I cut in. "Now it's my turn to push you out of your comfort zone."

Robert hesitated-I could see him thinking, considering in that careful, methodical way of his-then, finally, he nodded.

"O...kay. Okay."

"Awesome!" I declared, feeling my heart soar. "I'm so glad-"

"But there will be no heavy drinking," he interjected firmly. "And I'm picking you up and driving you home, so don't even try anything risky. Because I will know if you do-I don't know, drugs or something-"

"So I have a designated Dad for the night?" I teased, elbowing him playfully. "Good to know."

Robert stared at me suspiciously as we exited the building, eyes narrowed in thought.

"Just so you know," he said finally, "I don't think this is a good idea."

- - - -

I spent the next few hours trying, albeit fruitlessly, to chose something suitable to wear. I raided the entirety of my wardrobe, pulling out hoodies and shirts, jeans and sweatpants.

It seemed my anxiety about the night ahead had manifested in the form of fashion-related indecision, and when Elena tapped on my door at eight forty-five that night, I was staring bleakly at my reflection.

"Alyx?" my sister called, voice muffled through the wood. "Robert is here."

"Oh god," I whispered, dragging my hands through my hair. I turned from the mirror and called back "I'll be right there, Elena!" then proceeded to stare wildly around at my room.

Clothes were lying haphazardly across my bed and over my desk, in piles by my window, under my dresser.

It was a disaster.

Footsteps sounded down the hall. "Hey, Alyx? You ready?"

Oh my god, Robert was right outside.

"Hang on a minute!"

I tried to keep the distress from my voice as I tore frantically through each pile, working quickly across my room.

"Are you okay?" Robert called.

I opened my mouth to respond, then froze as my gaze landed on my denim jacket, lying a few feet away.

Yes. Of course.

I hastily pulled the jacket over a black hoodie, tugged on a pair of worn jeans, and flattened down my hair in the mirror.

Then I was opening the door and leaning nonchalantly against its frame. "Hey."

Robert quirked a brow. "Hey...You good?"

"Yeah," I said, breezing past and starting down the stairs. "You ready to go?"

"I still don't know why we're even bothering," Robert muttered, sounding resigned. "But I guess I'm as ready I'll ever be."

I definitely knew the feeling.

A/N: Thanks for reading! If you're enjoying so far, please leave a vote and/or a comment :)